• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Y-link style 3 link?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not a fan of radius arms, the way they can bind and tear up control arm bushings.

So I've been thinking about building a 3 link using my TNT belly pan as a cross member. The only problem with that is the upper control arm length is locked in at 70% of the lower arm length. So if TNT uses 3' lowers, the upper would need to be just over 2' long, and giving you a very limited place to mount it. I guess a lot of the time people end up either cutting into the floor board or doing mid arms. I wouldn't be able to do mid arms and still use the TNT belly pan, and I don't like the idea of having to cut into the floor pan then reenforce the new mount to handle the stress of the suspension.

I don't like the RK 3 link so don't bring it up, the lower control arms hang down too low for my liking. and by pushing the lower control arm mounts on the body up above the rails, you also push the upper mount up, putting me in the same place as above.

Then I remembered about the IRO long arm kit.
12090811.jpg

Though I don't like the design of the drivers side arm, and how you adjust it for pinion angle/caster. Kind of jankity if you ask me. But what if the drivers side was more like the TNT arms?

I don't see any of the binding issues that radius arms have, and none of the packaging issues that come with a 3 link long arm. Though IRO is the only company I have found that has anything like this, is there a reason?

i know a guy with a tj that has his front setup just like youre talking about. seemed to work pretty good. had it for a few years and never had any problems though i think you would still have some of the problems (unloading on hill climbs)

Alot of people pull 1 upper arm off of the TNT/RE/etc kits!

Haha saw this same thread on pirate, didn't think much of it. Then I saw it on jeepforum and had to say something. And yes I know i'm not being helpful. Sorry, carry on.

Ok, after talking with a buddy about it I understand the linger upper, but where would that put the upper ca if my lowers are attached to a TNT belly pan?

I would guess it would put the upper a little higher, and a little further behind, the lower mount.

taking into account the required (or preferred) separation between the upper/lower, that would tell you where the upper would end up.

I'm not a fan of radius arms, the way they can bind and tear up control arm bushings.

So I've been thinking about building a 3 link using my TNT belly pan as a cross member. The only problem with that is the upper control arm length is locked in at 70% of the lower arm length. So if TNT uses 3' lowers, the upper would need to be just over 2' long, and giving you a very limited place to mount it. I guess a lot of the time people end up either cutting into the floor board or doing mid arms. I wouldn't be able to do mid arms and still use the TNT belly pan, and I don't like the idea of having to cut into the floor pan then reenforce the new mount to handle the stress of the suspension.

I don't like the RK 3 link so don't bring it up, the lower control arms hang down too low for my liking. and by pushing the lower control arm mounts on the body up above the rails, you also push the upper mount up, putting me in the same place as above.

Then I remembered about the IRO long arm kit.
12090811.jpg

Though I don't like the design of the drivers side arm, and how you adjust it for pinion angle/caster. Kind of jankity if you ask me. But what if the drivers side was more like the TNT arms?

I don't see any of the binding issues that radius arms have, and none of the packaging issues that come with a 3 link long arm. Though IRO is the only company I have found that has anything like this, is there a reason?

You need to stop reading the overhyped BS on the internet about radius arm limitations and go out there and wheel...

It is NOT an issue.

Once you wheel with something that isn't a radius arm setup, you realize just how much better things can be.

Ok, after talking with a buddy about it I understand the longer upper, but where would that put the upper ca if my lowers are attached to a TNT belly pan?

Mine ended up like this.

sub5.JPG

It is NOT an issue.
It IS an issue, but it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I have radius arms and I do notice the unloading, but only on a couple of occasions. Did it hinder my Jeep? Not sure, as there were other variables, and Im not even sure if another suspension design would have benefited me.

Hot rod, what you are describing is not a "Y link 3 link" but just another variation on a radius arm. By doing it that way you eliminate most of the binding that is caused by a radius arm, but you do not eliminate the unloading as described by everyone.

I suggest you hop back over to pirate and really search about 3 links and how to go about making them. Vetteboy has a couple awesome threads with all of his numbers, in depth explanations, pictures and a couple follow up posts about what he would change and what worked.

You are better off to sell your crossmember and build from new than work with something that might work.

LOL, I knew somebody would bite.

Once you wheel with a group of whatever... you realize none of this sh!t means anything anyway. Last time out I followed a YJ with a Chevy 350 and D60s and 40's. I made it places he couldn't lol. Same for ever other time I've been out. I've been out done by little guys too. All this "this part is better than that" BS get's old after a while.

LOL, I knew somebody would bite.

Once you wheel with a group of whatever... you realize none of this sh!t means anything anyway. Last time out I followed a YJ with a Chevy 350 and D60s and 40's. I made it places he couldn't lol. Same for ever other time I've been out. I've been out done by little guys too. All this "this part is better than that" BS get's old after a while.
I couldnt tell if you were trolling, or being an idiot. Same thing, right? :shhh:

I agree and disagree with the suspension not meaning anything. I think people like Jes, Goatman and Vetteboy all know a thing or two about suspensions and what it takes to get them to work right. Why would they waste all that time, money and effort into building a 3/4 link and have it perform just as well as someone with an off the shelf long arm?

At the same time, how many people are really on the same level as those guys and can notice the added benefits of a custom 3/4 link vs a bolt on affair?

Side note, anyone know if beadlocks are legal?

I couldnt tell if you were trolling, or being an idiot. Same thing, right? :shhh:

I agree and disagree with the suspension not meaning anything. I think people like Jes, Goatman and Vetteboy all know a thing or two about suspensions and what it takes to get them to work right. Why would they waste all that time, money and effort into building a 3/4 link and have it perform just as well as someone with an off the shelf long arm?

At the same time, how many people are really on the same level as those guys and can notice the added benefits of a custom 3/4 link vs a bolt on affair?

Side note, anyone know if beadlocks are legal?

I know out here in Cali beadlocks are illegal... but in CO i dont know... go for it if the cops stops u say there fake! lol j/p:gee:

Back