• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric cooling fan calculations

87m6chris

NAXJA Forum User
Went to the junkyard today to find one of those 2 speed Taurus fans so I could get rid of the clutch fan. Well, they were all gone but I did find a
1 speed fan that is 3 1/8" deep, 13" dia. So I'm trying to figure out how many CFMs it will pull to see if it will work.
the blade dia. is 12 3/4" but the actual blade length is 3 5/8", it spins at
1600 rpm and its Ford part # is PA66-GF+M38
Does anyone know of a calculation that help me find the CFMs?
Thanks,
Chris

there is no way of calculating CFM without some way of measuring the velocity of the air coming out of the fan. just think, blade design, such as area and angle would have a huge effect on how much air the fan moves.

Right, makes sense. Maybe Ford could give me the specs if I give them the part number.
It is an incredible fan, just about jump out of my skin when it started up.

I dont know the CFM but it does pull 30 amps. Make sure to upgrade the wire to 10 ga and use a relay. That fan will work for the 4.0. I know lots of people that use that fan on V8s.

Two OE aux fans cool mine fine(one even does the job 90% of the time--the original driver side location), but I don't have to cool a tranny, so can't speak for that application.

Back