• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

glowing red

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
so a month ago my 91 xj started bogging down all at once and pulling the wheel, on the freeway. when i pulled over the drivers front rotor was glowing red. so i took the tire off and tapped on the caliper put back together and no more problem. since when i step on the brake it pulles from one side to the other while stopping. Tonight same thing happened only right side front glowing red. did both my calipers go bad and maybe sticking or could it be something else. afraid to drive to work tomorrow.

You might have contaminated brake fluid. Remove the brake reservoir cap. Is the rubber seal swollen?

"Glowing Red" indicates an overheated rotor...means brakes are draging. Something is making them drag...caliper or ?? is not releasing. I'd start with the caliper...make sure the "slides" are free (allows the caliper to move with the rotor). If they're rusted or otherwise bound up, could be causing your problem as the front brakes only deliver pressure from one side (piston side).

Either the caliper pistons froze, the caliper slides froze, or your brake hoses to the front calipers are breaking down. The hoses can break down over time making little flaps in the hose. That flap will create a one way check valve in the hose letting fluid one way and not letting fluid go the other way.

As other have suggested but don't overlook brake fluid contamination as it causes anything rubber to swell up (hoses and seals in the master, prop valve, calipers, and rear wheel cylinders).

It sure sounds like your calipers are alternatingly sticking. Either the pistons are freezing up (rust) or the caliper slides have grooves worn in them. Leaving old brake fluid in too long can cause the metal parts like pistons to rust up. The calipers should be pulled off the rotors and checked for free movement of the pistons. Then also check the caliper sliders for wear. Whatever you replace or grease, do on both sides. Once you make the rotors glow, they will probably be warped.

Back