• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*transfer case*

nickPRO

NAXJA Forum User
i just finished messing around with my xj...so when i tried to put it back in 2wd 4x4 full time does not disengage! i tried over and over going backwards but it still wouldnt disengage! any ideas ???:dunno:

When you say "messing around" exactly what do you mean, we all want to help you but without specific details it's hard to identify a problem.

Info that helps:
year
engine
trans
more detailed description of the problem and the events leading up to it

ok ok!

1995 xj
4.0 H.O AW4 ....cant remember transfer case its the on that has part time and full time 4x4 (np231?)

i actually didndt do much just went through sime mud a couple of times maybe used 4x4 for 10 minutes only and now it wont disengage

get under the vehicle and check to see if your linkage set screw has been loosened, or check and see if one of the rods popped out of the rubber "o" ring.

On a 242 Full Time it won't switch back if the front/rear shafts at the same speed. This can happen simply because the tires are not all the same diameter (air pressure/worn/different size tires). If the shifter goes back into the 2wd position and nothing is loose in the linkage adjustment then do not play with the adjustment. Do you have a t-case drop?

Last edited:
where exactly is the linkage set screw ?

Underneath, driverside of floor tunnel (square bolt I think it was). Try driving in a straight line at 15-20 mph, let off the gas and shift the t-case or try shifting the trans into neutral while the vehicle is rolling too.

and if its loose should i tighten it? if so does it matter how much?

If it's loose manually shift the t-case from underneath into 2wd and make sure the lever is in 2wd, then tighten the bolt. You may have to mess with it a little. If it's loose the shifter would feel loose.

the shifters not loose on its just fine!! arghhhh im never using 4x4 again! every time i use it it needs something else!

worst case scenario?

Nothing is wrong and you overlooked something with the tire/sizes? I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the t-case honestly. They are just a little difficult sometimes. The fork is spring loaded in the t-case so the lever may shift but the t-case won't change back until the front/rear outputs spins at close to the same speed. I would try driving/shifting it as above suggested. I sometimes had a little trouble with mine but it's ok.

to adjust your linkage get under your jeep shift the t-case manually into 4 low then tighten the set screw and that will solve that problem. only if thats whats wrong with your linkage.

To adjust the transfer case linkage you need to remove the shift bezel, pull the shift lever all the back to the rear gate, place a spacer of 3 mm (1/8") between the lever and the rear gate, anchor the lever in that position--a bungee cord usually works.

Crawl under the XJ. Loosen the locking bolt in the trunnion on the upper shift rod. Manually shift the transfer case into 4 lo. Make sure it is fully seated. Tighten the locking bolt in the trunnion. Remove the spacer and bungee cord, replace the bezel.

Congratulations, you have correctly adjusted the linkage. If the shift lever won't come all the back against the spacer and rear shift gate, then you must crawl under the XJ and loosen the locking bolt in the trunnion first.

Joe knows...adjust as he describes. Although, I'm wondering why it "went south" to begin with. I cannot imagine your linkage changing all the sudden. But, I can imagine it being out of adjustment if you also included a TC drop w ith your lift. Must always adjust TC linkage with a change in TC position. Maybe you failed to shift back to 2WD until you were back on pavement? I always shift back to 2WD before I hit a "grippy" surface...otherwise, it puts strain on the Transfer Case and Drive Lines.

Back