• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear install

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone knows how to /or where to get gears installed looking to do the install on the cheap but dont want to sacrafice quality. Willing to supply whoever will help me with food and bevrages of choice. I live in moreno valley thanks for the help.

Not trying to be rude, but getting gears done is not cheap and it is an area you don't want to skimp in.

There are a few guys here that can do it for you. Stay away from those shops that wan to charge you $400+ per axle.

Good luck!

in full agreement about not cutting corners with the gears, i have to drive to and from san diego almost everyday. just trying to get the gears installed on a slim military budget. calling anyone that can help me install please help!!

How often do you wheel? The reason I ask, is you can do the axles over a couple of months. Gear the rear, remove the front driveshaft and drive for a couple of months and save to do the front. Then get the front done and reconnect the driveshaft. You may want to try to get some kind of limited slip or locker (e-bay) if you can sueeze it in to the budget, but they are not necessary.

I wish I could help, but I am not a gear man...

Dont wheel very often due to my sched. I am buying the gears with a lock rite locker from a very good trust worthy friend who ran them for about a year before he took them out when he sold his XJ. cant beat the deal front and rear ring/pinion carrier locker and master install kit for the front all for 125 shipped from hawaii. I had thought about just doing the rear for now, I'll just have to wait and see if I can find someone to help me.

Get a hold of Frank Hayes, He is a fellow jeeper that works out of his garage and has been doing this kinda work for decades. Hes in Garden Grove and usually is the most reasonable.

I dont have any contact info handy, but i'm sure someone could post up an email for him. Hes the president of OC4play off road club, if that helps finding him.

also check in with Scott Tell (Clean RC) in OC. He's a busy guy but excellent work

Back