• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick 231J Tcase question

I have the oppurtunity to pick up a 231J out of an 87 XJ behind a 4.0/AW4 combo with a dana 44 rear axle. My question is this, would that transfer case be a direct bolt on into my XJ which is a 97 with the 4.0/AW4 combo with the 8.25 chryco rear? I currently have the 231J in mine, and if I can pick this one up out of the 87 cheap my plan was to swap it in while I do the sye, wide chain, etc. build up on my 97 case. The Jeep is my DD that is the reason I can't have it down at all. Thanks for the help guys.

No, the I put shaft spline count is different, pre 96 is 21 spline, 96&later are 23 if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if the splne numbers are exactly right but the case from the 87 won't mate to your 97' AW4. You don't need the t-case anyway, the d-44 is a direct bolt in. I got one out of an 87' also and gave it a regear and a brake job and bolted it right up in place of my Chryco, I used the driveshaft until I got an SYE and had no problems at all.

If you want to build a beefed up 231 you can use the 87' with some mods, you'll need to buy a 23 spline input from advanced adapters and while your at it get the 5 gear planetery assembly and wide chain kit also from advanced adapters along with an SYE. That way you can leave the 97' 231 in, build the 87' like a tank and once you've got your mods done slip it right in.

Or you can just buy the d-44 then get a wide chain kit and an SYE and pull the t-case out and install the parts in a couple of hours and put it back in, it's not really that complicated of a project.

Last edited:
Back