• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dashlights and Taillights are not working

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving the other night when I noticed my gauge lights go out.

No biggie, I'll replace the fuse when I get home I thought... but on the way home, I got pulled over and told that my taillights were also out. The lights come on when I'm braking, but there's no running lights.

I got home and checked the fuses that are down by the pedals, and they all seem fine.

I also noticed that the door open and headlight on buzzer isn't working either...

Is there another fuse box somewhere that I'm missing? Or is it another problem altogether? I thought all the acc. were run out of that box.

It's sometimes hard to tell if a fuse is good or bad by looking at it. Parking light and buzzer fuse is number 7, 10 AMP, upper right hand corner of the fuse block
If the gage lights go out and then your tail/parking lights go out, This can be an indication that the dimmer coil in the back of your headlight switch is broken or twisted up and the plug in the back of the headlight switch is in the process of melting down.
After the headlights have been on for awhile, feel the metal rod behind the headlight switch pull button with your finger, warm is OK, hot means change the switch out quick.

I had that problem recently but my taillights worked, do a search on dash lights or the like and it will bring up a ton of results...

mine was just a fuse but it was acting like it was the headlight switch, fuses are cheaper and easier then the switch so go through the fuses first i'd say

X2 on the fuse. mine did that to. no dash lights, no rear lights other than brake. i replaced the light switch and it still did the same thing. turned out my fuse was bad, but no visibly blown.

Thanks guys!

I'll check the fuses again tomorrow during lunchbreak when there's more light. I was using a flashlight tonight... so I'm sure I coulda missed it if it wasn't very obvious.

I have the same problem, my dash light fuse keeps blowing. I replaced the headlight switch. And it still blows the fuse. Please HELP!!!

Fatbass said:
I have the same problem, my dash light fuse keeps blowing. I replaced the headlight switch. And it still blows the fuse. Please HELP!!!
You have a short somewhere. Check all grounds.

ert01 said:
So I was driving the other night when I noticed my gauge lights go out.

No biggie, I'll replace the fuse when I get home I thought... but on the way home, I got pulled over and told that my taillights were also out. The lights come on when I'm braking, but there's no running lights.

I got home and checked the fuses that are down by the pedals, and they all seem fine.

I also noticed that the door open and headlight on buzzer isn't working either...

Is there another fuse box somewhere that I'm missing? Or is it another problem altogether? I thought all the acc. were run out of that box.

Yep. The exact same thing happened to me - including the getting pulled over part. And, yes, it was the headlight switch. Replaced it and everything has been great.

Had the same problem. kept blowing fuses, getting pulled over, etc. Replaced headlight switch didn't fix it. chased wire, replaced burned wire... nothing. Turned out I had been foolin' around w/ the wires in the back hatch and plugged in a wire back there that looked like it was supposed to be plugged in, but wasn't. Unplugged the wires and fixed the lights. Go figure.

check you trailer light wiring if you have it. i had the same and as soon as i cut ou the POS Drawtight converter box my fuse stopped blowing and everything worked fine. replaced with a Hoppy unit

wolfmanxj said:
Had the same problem. kept blowing fuses, getting pulled over, etc. Replaced headlight switch didn't fix it. chased wire, replaced burned wire... nothing. Turned out I had been foolin' around w/ the wires in the back hatch and plugged in a wire back there that looked like it was supposed to be plugged in, but wasn't. Unplugged the wires and fixed the lights. Go figure.

GRRR!!!! I did that same thing! What the h311 is that double blue wired connecter next to the black plug for anyway??? They connect together, and look like they are supposed to be connected, based on the length and location...

artsifrtsi said:
GRRR!!!! I did that same thing! What the h311 is that double blue wired connecter next to the black plug for anyway??? They connect together, and look like they are supposed to be connected, based on the length and location...

Where is that plug? I am having the same issue.

It looks like i fixed it guys. After replacing the light/dimmer switch and testing some of the connections, I found the 20A fuse blown for the "park lights" (no. 13 under the hood I think). Go figure....I swear it wasn't blown yesterday.

:dunce:

Matt

2001xj? What is your problem? I don't know '01 fuse setup but assume that the only 5amp fuse is for instrument panel lamps. "Interior lights" will have a larger fuse.

Back