• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dent in drive shaft?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
How big a deal is a little dent in the rear drive shaft? felt the vibs coming home from the trail the other day...is it going to twist up when I torque it? I'm heading out again on friday...I have an unbalance hacked together spare...I think I could make a better one between now and then...

It will eventually wear out the transfer output seal and/or the bushing and can do the same with the pinion seal.

If the dent were to cause the shaft to become off balance you'd most likely eat up U-joint's and other bushing's in the drive train. If ran long enough it possibly could cause damage to the transfer case? If not correct me on that, I was wondering if a drive-line shop could counter balance a dented drive shaft? If so it would save you money versus buying a whole new one.

I made another one tonight...measured it every way I could to make sure it was as straight as I could...now I have 1 good spare and one questionable one...and one spare ujoint...thanks for the help guys :)

Back