• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest 2 inches

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys... Currently own a stock 97 XJ sport. I am also currently looking for a job... so all i have is some cash saved up to live off of. but... I need 2 inches under my jeep! its killing me!

How can I do this?? I found some 80 dollar kits on ebay, all including coil spacers, and either shackle or small add-a-leaf for rear. I have a feeling that with all your help, i can get 2 inches for around... 50?

I figure 2" is about the max I can go before really needing to replace shocks. Slip yoke, brake lines, and track bar can handle this too. I just got a set of all terrains 235/75R15, which is just under a 30" tire. They really fill up the wheel wells! Havent wheeled them yet to see if there is rub.

From what I saw, ZJ coils add about an inch? Any other junkyard options? I hate all my local junkyards though... they are rip-offs. What is better for rear? Shackle or add-a-leaf?

I am really cheaping out on this... I would like to have a little lift to keep up with my buddies on the trails. I plan to do some serious build in the summer, once I eventually get a job! Until then, I need just a little more than stock. Thanks!

i did 2 inches on mine and the cheapest i could find was 100 bucks. shackles are my recommendation. but im not a fan of add a leafs. good luck man!!

Looked at the bastard pack. Pretty cleaver, but, like I said, my junkyards here are absolute rip offs.. I do not have much like that handy here. Though, that is a really awesome idea for a lift! If I had the resources, I would be working on it now.

Where could I look for cheap used suspension parts??

I'm putting 2" spacers in front and an S 10 leaf in the back. springs were free, so with new U bolts and miss. nuts, bolts and Aero Krol will be under a $100

I did:
2 inch fronst spacers
- 60 bucks plus an extra spring isolator- free
2" chevy drop shackles $40 bucks
- slight modification required
procomp add -a-leaf (this thing was pretty ass end low so I needed it, I'd go bastard pack of I had time
- $60 bucks
Raised rear shocks 2 " -- free
raised front shocks 2" (with gojeep style homade bpe'es/spacers) maybe 5 bucks in materials and my time

so at round $160 said and done and I can stuff 31x10.5x15's on stock jeep wheels:cheers:

i have the bastard pack from an s10 blazer, and some 79 f100 coils, for about 3.5-4" of lift. i was fine with stock shocks for a little while, and only got noises from them when i wheeled it hard with the swaybars out, and even then it wasn't bad. i'm still using the stock trackbar and brakelines, and even the stock driveshaft with no problems. i could trim and fit 33's no problem:D

I don't think there's special years. The one I'm using are mid 80s 2 wheel drive long bed. Going to cut the eyes from the main springs and mix into the XJ pack and adjust the height from there.

You don't "Need" to lift a Jeep if you don't have a job to pay for the lift kit or the stuff you will break while lifted...

You can ask around your chapter. Chances are that if you really "NEED" to lift your Jeep, you can find somebody who has coil spacers, and a couple old stock springs (or a block) to give away.

You will also likely be close to the limits of your shocks too.

And you may need to relocate your brake lines.

And depending on the year, you may need to do a T-Case drop to go with your cheap lift.

Then you will want atleast 235X75X15's to go with that look. 225X75X15s look dorky under 2" of lifted Cherokee ;)

But it can be done if you make all of the required parts, invest your own labor, and do some serious scrounging.

Oh, and it helps if you are a Member. Dang there's that money thing again ;)

Ron

You don't "Need" to lift a Jeep if you don't have a job to pay for the lift kit or the stuff you will break while lifted...

You can ask around your chapter. Chances are that if you really "NEED" to lift your Jeep, you can find somebody who has coil spacers, and a couple old stock springs (or a block) to give away.

You will also likely be close to the limits of your shocks too.

And you may need to relocate your brake lines.

And depending on the year, you may need to do a T-Case drop to go with your cheap lift.

Then you will want atleast 235X75X15's to go with that look. 225X75X15s look dorky under 2" of lifted Cherokee ;)

But it can be done if you make all of the required parts, invest your own labor, and do some serious scrounging.

Oh, and it helps if you are a Member. Dang there's that money thing again ;)

Ron
I concur. If you're unemployed, your Jeep does not need to be lifted. I did a lot of wheeling stock, in both a Geo Tracker and my XJ. Save your money for a real need that may come up and do the work in the summer when you get a job again.

ahhhh whats a 50 bucks!?? I need a project to keep me entertained... I dont get along with boardom.

Im not going to do anything unless I can get the stuff cheap. If i get spacers for the coils, ill probably use them when I go for the 5.5 coils. Im leaning toward shackles too, and as well, I can keep them too. Win win!

Hit craigslist and your chapter classifieds. Heck, I gave a pair of bagged-out stock leafs to a scrapper for free a month or two ago, I just wanted em off my back porch. Would have probably made a pretty decent bastard pack but no one wanted em at the time, so he got a couple bucks at the scrapyard for them.

When i first started lifting mine i just did the 2" lift shackles from roughcountry they were only 50 bucks and i then you can always use them then you get a job and buy a good set of lift leafs. Also i i put in some 1 3/4" RE coil spacers they were only 30 bucks when i picked them up you just have to do some research on them, and for that cheap it really doent matter if you use them when you get an actual lift. It made my jeep sit pretty level too, I had 31's under her too n they didnt rub at all. If your only going with 2" of lift you dont have to worry about brake lines or a transfer case drop or sye, as i currently run 5.5" of lift with out changing any of that . As for your shocks i like that link you posted but i never had a problem with the stock shock on 2" other then it didnt flex a whole lot (i also kept both front and rear swaybars) i figured it kept me from pushing a tire through the inner fenders. As i see it i dont see anyway to do it much cheaper than 80 bucks unless you go to a junkyard then you dont really know what your getting either (sagging). You could save up and buy a 3" roughcountry lift with all new shocks for around 250. which ever you do will make a decent difference in how it wheels.

I did the rockliz bb for $35. Spacers from DPG offroad and free leaves. As others have said free xj leaves are available around you if you look. I'm 2.5 inches and stock shocks will work if you don't abuse it. I also agree with others don't waste the money right now. Might be the groceries you don't have next month.

Look up bigbadxj on cherokeetalk, he's not far from you and has lots of junk sitting around!

The OP has a 97,so theres a large chance he will need a SYE!

A sye is a maybe at that height. I have a 99 and I get some slight vibes at 45mph. But mine came with a factory Tcase drop already so it must have had vibes when it left the lot. I did the same lift on my brothers 00 and it had no vibes at all. Do it and see what happens.

Back