• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd noise???

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
when doing my tranny swap and t-case install i cutt of the exhaust at the y pipe so it would be easier to take out the tranny. Well after i put everything back in and exhaust mounted i hear a wierd vibrating nioise. Now the exahust isnt hung there by the tranny yet so i was wondering if this could be producing that wierd rattle noise? what do you guys think? Think that with the motor tweak when you step on the accelerator think that little bit of movement of the engine can be ratting the exhause if it wasnt hung yet?

Sure, why not?

Try hanging something heavy and somewhat impervious to heat on the exhaust and see if the tone of the rattle changes, that will either confirm it or set you on your way to finding the fault somewhere else.

My exhaust has hit things in 3 different places -

When my rearmost hangar rusted through, it hung down and banged against the top of the rear axle tube.
When I fixed that and it swiveled in the outlet of the muffler (ended up welding it to fix this) it banged into the side of the pinion snout on the rear diff housing.
When I fixed that and lifted my Jeep, it started vibrating against the leaf spring clamp, at least till it self clearanced :roll:
When that fixed itself and the hangar at the crossmember rusted through, it vibrated on the crossmember...

Now it's broken again and I just don't care anymore, I intend to beat it to pieces wheeling and will only bother replacing it when I get inspected next.

Back