• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it worth changeing the np242

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
was looking in maybe swapeing out the np242 for the np 231 but i dont kno much about the np 242 is it worht keeping over the np231 or no?

It really depends on your reasons for wanting to swap in the np231. Why do you think you want to do it?

i herd the 231 is better but i dont know much about the 242 thats why the question so if the 242 isnt that bad then i wont waste the time and spend the time doing more productive stuff

231 is slightly stronger (not that much), simpler design, and much more aftermarket support, which makes it a better choice if you intend to do a lot of off-roading and want to build a beefier transfer case. The 242 has an internal differential that gives it all-wheel-drive in addition to 4wd, which makes it a better choice if you do a lot of foul-weather driving and want a flexible transfer case.

Ive had 2 other Jeeps with the 242. I personally love the 242. I currently have the 231, but there are much more important things I can spend my money on at the time, instead of swapping out a perfectly good transfer case. If it were me, I'd personally stick with the 242. The Hack and Tap SYE works well on that T-Case.

The 242 is possibly slightly weaker; the 242 is clocked slightly lower but a skid plate is a wise investment for both; the 231 is upgradeable http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=996114; and SYE other than the hack n tap are only available for the 231.

Long time debate over this one. In the end, it's six of one half a dozen of the other. Everybody has their own opinions over which is stronger.

Personally, I love my 242 and wouldn't give it up for anything. The ability to have an AWD set up yet still have a part time case unlike a permanent AWD system is awesome. The Full-Time feature gets a lot of use around here in the winter as our snows tend to be of the slushy variety...some roads clear and some roads not. It's nice being able to throw it in FT and forget about it w/o worrying about damage to the system.

The 242 is great for the reasons listed. We also get occasional snowfalls and the roads tend to be mixed snow, slush, ice, and dry. The full-time option is also nice for rutted dirt roads and such, extra traction without the pushing/pulling of constant lock-up. The 242's internal diff splits power based on slippage, it's pretty much unnoticeable when in full-time as far as the vehicle's handling characteristics.

I haven't seen a numbers comparison, but the 231 is apparently stronger. There is definitely more aftermarket for the 231. I'd just run whatever you have and not worry about it. Many here (myself included) have put a SYE on their 242 and run some pretty tough trails, they are fine for 99% of the wheeling that you're likely to do.

I haven't seen a numbers comparison, but the 231 is apparently stronger. There is definitely more aftermarket for the 231. I'd just run whatever you have and not worry about it. Many here (myself included) have put a SYE on their 242 and run some pretty tough trails, they are fine for 99% of the wheeling that you're likely to do.

my understanding is that the 242 is only weaker when in fulltime, and the part time lock bypasses the diff.

looks like might as well keep the 242 if it aint that much differance and if it breaks throw my spare 231 in it thanks for all the input guys

Its not worth changing if it isn't broken. If it breaks, then worry about what to do. Personally, I love the fulltime option. If my 242 breaks, I'll find another.

Back