• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator disconnect problems

flexedjay

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping out the stock radiator in my xj with a csf-3 row. I had no trouble until i got to the metal lines on the driver side of the radiator. i think its the transmission oil cooling lines. I cannot figure out how to disconnect these lines.

it is a 99 xj sport 4.0L AT
any and all help would be appreciated,

Also i have been searching online for the past week and have come up with nothing before someone asks if i looked. this is my last hope. The other idea i found on the internet was to just cut off the disconnects and hose clamp them. it sounded like a good plan B to me.

Just took this off my 2000's radiator..yes it requires the same type of tool used to remove the fuel line for the bottom one, for the top it's just a standard screwed on fitting.

Hit your local parts store and get the quick disco tool- I believe the rad fitting is 3/8ths, but might be 5/16th. I got the combo, as one size fit fuel lines, and the other the trans line. Slide the tool into the fitting, pull.

edit- here's an example. Should be stocked at any parts store, or at the very least they'll have an equivalent.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRD32...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0002SRD32

Better to double fuel injection hose clamp it if it's the pressure side.

It is on the "pressure" side on new Cherokees, but we're talking maybe a couple of PSI drop through the cooler so I'm not sure it would matter which side of the cooler it's on. The trans cooler isn't running off full pump pressure and I've never had a hose clamped trans cooler line come off of any vehicle.

Also i have been searching online for the past week and have come up with nothing before someone asks if i looked. this is my last hope. The other idea i found on the internet was to just cut off the disconnects and hose clamp them. it sounded like a good plan B to me.
That should be your plan A! :D

Just cut it off and hose clamp it.
X2.

I've always had horrible luck with these, mine was full of 14 years of road grime when I replaced my transmission lines. I ended up gently (hahahaha) heating the outside of the quick disconnect with a small pocket butane torch till the plastic retention clip inside melted, then pulling it apart and cleaning the melty bits out. Then I cut the quick disconnect off, dropped some hose clamps* on the line, rammed it over the radiator fitting till it was 1/2" past the ridge, and clamped it down. It's been working great for 10k+ miles now.

* standard ones from Home Depot, don't use autismzone ones they are low quality and break in half once properly tightened... ask me how I know!

It is on the "pressure" side on new Cherokees, but we're talking maybe a couple of PSI drop through the cooler so I'm not sure it would matter which side of the cooler it's on. The trans cooler isn't running off full pump pressure and I've never had a hose clamped trans cooler line come off of any vehicle.

True and it will vary depending on load and throttle position. Just a suggestion, better safe than sorry for me. I put some serious load on mine in the rocks so that's what I did and I just kinda prefer the fuel injection clamps.

True and it will vary depending on load and throttle position. Just a suggestion, better safe than sorry for me. I put some serious load on mine in the rocks so that's what I did and I just kinda prefer the fuel injection clamps.
What size did you use? I believe I used 3/8" standard clamps, but I'm not sure.

... I probably should get some and use them on my fuel pressure line instead of normal clamps...

Never argue with Mikelopedia.

I cut it and clamped it too. I tried to re-use the little plastic thingy that was holding the disconnect together, but it leaked like a mutha... Ended up cutting the solid tube near the trans, slipping on about 50cm of trans hose and clamped it. Haven't had any problems with it, so I guess it's working

Cheers
Alex

Back