• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

foglight electrical question

87m6chris

NAXJA Forum User
95 xj
I'm doing a wiring upgrade for the foglights, heavy gauge wire, relay and so on. In the past when I have done this I've always used the existing positive lead that would normaly go to the lamp as my signal wire for terminal 86 on the new relay. Can't do that this time because the circuit is screwed, when it isn't dead it's blowing fuses. I just want to isolate the old circuit and forget it.
So, the question is, what do I use as a signal for terminal 86 on the new relay?
Thanks,
Chris

Dude, I just ran a new wire. (I assume your useing the stock switch) Strating from the out @ the switch I ran a small guage wire out to the relay.
Does that help?

Good luck

Sounds like you need to install another switch for the fogs. Just eliminate the existing fog circuit and put in a new one.
Hey Jeeperjohn, I wish I read your post sooner, spent the day checking, rechecking, banging my head! The foglight switch checkout fine when disconnected so I assumed is was ok, NOT. $5 new switch and all is working well.
Thanks,
Chris

Hey Jeeperjohn, I wish I read your post sooner, spent the day checking, rechecking, banging my head! The foglight switch checkout fine when disconnected so I assumed is was ok, NOT. $5 new switch and all is working well.
Thanks,
Chris
Good to hear. Switches can often have continuity but not be able to carry a load at all.

Back