• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Dana 30 Upgrades?

RenoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
SO I was poking around the JY this weekend... and I think I came accross some "better" OEM axle choices for the D30..

some ZJ, and XJ with ABS seem to have a really thick axle from the factory. Anyone else done this upgrade? they look waay stronger, and
I cant afford Cromos..

Yeah I switched in the bigger shafts and u-joints on my 94 and I haven't snapped any yet on 33's (I broke 3 before I switched). Easy to do and worth every penny. May want to grab the knuckles for spares while your at it too.

You mean you upgraded to the 5x297 shafts, as is covered in the 'axles and gears' sticky at the top of this forum? ;)

I searched "ABS" and "ZJ" came up with nothing..

You can't search for less than 3 letters, and you won't find anything searching for ZJ. You want shafts from a 91+ XJ with ABS or any 97+ XJ at all. The shafts arent any thicker as you implied, they just have bigger u-joints.

At the top of the topic list are 5 or 6 static (sticky) threads. Look for one from Crash titled "AXLE SWAPS AND GEARS". Click that thread, and then click "DANA 30 TECH".

You'll find a lot of good information there that is .. not to be insulting, mildly more accurate than what you brought to the table. (You did find an upgrade, but the details of it were maybe not spot on..).

If you can't find it, Darky posted the link. ;)

You can't search for less than 3 letters, and you won't find anything searching for ZJ. You want shafts from a 91+ XJ with ABS or any 97+ XJ at all. The shafts arent any thicker as you implied, they just have bigger u-joints.

Actually you can find the bigger u-joint shafts in '89+ ABS rigs, basically any rig with ABS. Before '89, ABS wasn't an option.

And for what it's worth, I believe ZJ shafts are CV joints = no good.

~Scott

only v8 zj's with full time 4x4 had cv joints....

Good call. I guess the fact that the ZJ we have, a V8 full time rig, with CV joints threw me off.

~Scott

At the top of the topic list are 5 or 6 static (sticky) threads. Look for one from Crash titled "AXLE SWAPS AND GEARS". Click that thread, and then click "DANA 30 TECH".

You'll find a lot of good information there that is .. not to be insulting, mildly more accurate than what you brought to the table. (You did find an upgrade, but the details of it were maybe not spot on..).

If you can't find it, Darky posted the link. ;)

Thanks Cal... I read crash's write up. thanks for the links and help guys

Actually you can find the bigger u-joint shafts in '89+ ABS rigs, basically any rig with ABS. Before '89, ABS wasn't an option.

And for what it's worth, I believe ZJ shafts are CV joints = no good.

~Scott
yeah .. I saw a ZJ at the JY this weekend with real axles not CV's

Back