• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firepower Ignition Kit - '98 XJ

sourblufff

NAXJA Forum User
Will the following kit work on a '98 XJ http://www.performancedistributors.com/jeep.htm
4.0KIT Firepower Ignition Kit - 4.0 Liter 6 Cylinder $175.00

if this adapater is used Part# 31728-AH (98-99 Jeep 2.5/4.0L/5.2L) $29.50

The website above simply says 1991 - 1999 jeeps. However, if you look through quadratec or 4wdpart it says part not listed for your vehicle.

I ask because I just finished installing it and jeep would turn over but not fire. My first check was to place the old coil back into the circuit and it started right up.

Tried caling customer service but number is busy :dunno:

Don't see why not unless you have a problem with the adapter wiring or coil itself. Not sure why you'd need to run the spark plug gap at .065" though.

Received an email response from Performance Distributors first thing this morning and following verification of purchase invoice (purchased through 3rd part vendor) was informed that replacement coil was shipped same day.

Sounds ike you gat a bad coil. And you didn't read that this sort of thing offers no performance increase over stock.

I have read that it does help mileage and performance issues. I have read that it makes no change compared to replacing with OEM parts. As I was replacing everything included with the kit I decided to go for matched components with all brass connections in cap, rotor and coil.

I will say this much, the fit of the "Livewires" included with this kit was considerably better than the "Mopar" marked wires I removed and other autozone wire sets I have used previously.

I have the Firepower kit in 2 of my 5 XJ's. I can't say its a huge improvement but it sure doesn't hurt! The LiveWires alone are just plain sweet. When I replace the cap/rotor I use the ACCEL brand with brass terminals and they work fine.

I have never had a issue with the Screamin' Demon coils

I do not run a .065 gap, I keep the gaps at .040

I have this kit on my 98 XJ and it works great. From what I remember, I think I used the coil adapter.... never had any problems. I know it did not help performance at all, but the Jeep does start up a lot faster than it used to. It used to take a little longer than the average car to finally fire. (Like most 4.0's) Now it stimply starts right up. I tried replacing everything with Mopar stuff once before, but it did not make as big a difference as when I put this kit on....

I would have just gone for the accell super tune-up kit. Cheaper, The wires themselves are worth what the kit costs.. and you get teh cap/rotor and plugs.

Back