• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reliability of RENIX metal heater control valves

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I broke the plastic heater control valve on my 91 a few weeks ago, and decided to eliminate it until I could figure out a longer term option. I was looking through a parts catalog and I found an all-metal valve for the Renix era vehicles that looks like it will drop right in with the bypass hoses I installed. NAPA part entry

395118.jpg

Are these pretty reliable?

Last edited:
So your vehicle is 19 years old and you are asking for a more reliable part? How many miles are on your 91?
Yes metal will outlast plastic when the plastic is subjected to forces it was not intended to experience ("I broke the..."). Warning! Metal has its limit too.

Eric, I just recently replaced my OEM metal heater control valve (1989, still had the old AMC symbol on it) only because I was in the process of replacing ALL of my hoses and I figured I should replace the valve too instead of tempt fate. I had NO issues with the old one, and it appeared to be in very good shape when I took it off. 21 years on the OEM one is pretty damned good if you ask me. Take it for what it's worth....

I thought they were all plastic the one on my 87 is.

It has probably been replaced by a PO.

OP, just eliminate the coolant control valve, they did on the later XJs anyway. If you eliminate it, you reduce the odds of your heater core plugging up on you.

Joe the later models isolated the heater core with the blend door, but earlier models do not which is why they have the valve. My A/C is sketchy enough without me adding to the load so I am looking for options, thanks

4th and I have 4 jeeps with plastic and have only replaced 1 in 600,000 miles.
You must be the only guy in the country then. I blew mine up at 120k or so by simply moving it 1" to the side while trying to get to my #5+6 spark plugs. The plastic just simply broke in half from the side loading on the hoses. The first two I found at junkyards did the same thing - and none of them were over 140k, all C4C vehicles. I finally got lucky on one that had only 50k on it, paid $5, when I get around to redoing my heater hoses I'm going to just eliminate it entirely (my AC doesn't work, and I don't use the vent during the summer, I just drive with the windows open, I like it more that way)

I think, but I'm not sure, that the 4 cylinder models used that metal valve. They don't break but they stick shut like a son of a gun.

You are correct. I was looking at these today and the one in the pic is from the RENIX 2.5L 4-cyl. The RENIX 6-cyl uses a different setup entirely but the 4-cyl setup is similar to what was used for the HO valves.

Back