• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor Recall on '96??

Gooch1892

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday while traveling about 50mph, I was enlightened when my brakes went out on me...:gonnablow

Previously, I had a slight metallic scraping noise that moved along with wheel travel and stopped when the brakes were engaged. Pads were changed less than 2 years ago, and the rotors should have been replaced at the time...Now I knew when the mechanic told me he wanted 300 for the full job that my Jeep had a recall due on it for the front rotors, but I never got around to taking it to a dealership.

Basically, I need to know what my chances are that the manufacturer will cover the rotors - They are original, never been serviced, recall has not been done previously, pads have been changed, and the brakes are completely toast.

What do you guys think, just run it up to a dealership and see??

Or am I gonna have some other problem when doing so?

Thanks guys.

I had my 98 done in 01 or thereabouts, no problem.

You still have your original rotors from 1996??? I'd be seriously shocked if a dealership or any manufacturer, short of Bentley, would have anything to do with a brake recall on a vehicle 14+ years old.

you still have the original rotors on a 96 XJ?!?!?!? WTF:dunce:! and you pay someone to put new pads on. and whats worse is that "professional" has not changed the rotors

dude, if you cant do a disk brake job, then its time to turn in your man card

My friend took his 96 in last year and got a new cat and rotors courtesy of the recall. I'd suggest maybe calling a dealership and asking?

As an aside- $300 for pads?! Seriously?

... huh... I wonder if mine ever had the recall performed. My front brakes are actually in pretty good shape, but hey, if they're gonna replace em free I might go for it. Think I'll wait till after I get the new axle in though.

Sure thing stu. Who said I can't do a break job??? Someone else do it for free...and for everyone wondering about why the original rotors are still on my Jeep: I've owned it for about 8 years now, in that time I've put less than 40,000 miles on it. You do the math. Thanks for the helpful responses to those who chose to act friendly.

Below is some of the info in the recall. Bottom line if the rotors are not OE I fail to see why the dealer would replace them.

Both front brake rotors must be inspected and replaced if necessary. This recall does NOT include replacement of any other brake components. If other brake service is required (brake pads, caliper, etc.), the additional associated costs are the owner’s responsibility.

Inspect both front brake rotors carefully for the presence of an "S" stamped on the face of the hat section (the "S" is very lightly stamped in the rotor face and may be difficult to read) (Figure 1).
If there is an "S" stamped on both rotors, the rotors have already been replaced with stainless steel rotors and do not require replacement. Reinstall the front wheel and tire assemblies and return the vehicle to the owner. No further action is necessary.
If neither rotor or only one rotor has an "S" stamped on it, continue with Step 4 to replace the rotor(s) without an "S" stamp.

Well that's easy... I KNOW mine aren't stainless! They are quite rusted on the edges+inside channels.

Back