• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear disc brake swaps.

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
i did the terflex rear disc brake swap on my 87 xj. it stops ok. but the pedal feel just sucks. did the proportioning valve cut the spring one coil. it stops better,but pedal feel feels soft.brakes have been bled several times.was thinking about doing the Grand Cherokee master. who's done a disc swap. what problems have you run across.yes i did call Teraflex. they wernt much help. they sell the kit but say its designed for the Wrangler.:sure:

I also had my calipers on the wrong sides. I used the stem, spring and bleeder bolt from a grand cherokee's prop valve and swapped them out with my XJ prop valve internals. Everything works great. It may take awhile to bleed the prop valve I must have tied 5 times and finally the last bubble came out.

If air got into the master, it needs to be bench bled.

I was having problems with my rear disks, but they self resolved, and the power is great.

calipers are correct. I'll look for those pieces. anyone tried the later dual diaphragm power booster. mines a single.

A dual booster will help braking power but its not your problem now if it was working well before the swap.
Get a foot or so of clear tubing that fits over the brake bleeders and watch it closely for air while bleeding.

change the master cyl to a dual 96' and better and get the porp valve from a grand cherokee with 4wheel disks. (GRAB THE BOLTS FROM THE REAR CALIPERS THEY WORK BETTER THAT THE ALLEN HEAD IN THE KIT) bleed appropriatly and all should be good. I to have the tera flex kit, they are not very helpful so your not alone. When I was done with all the R&D for them, The brakes really work great.

I'm having the same problem, except i got my disks from the jy. Bench bled the mc before instalation, got it new from checker, new rotors and pads all the way around while i was at it. Did the prop swap then later pulled the internals out of it, helped a little. Now i've got a durango mc i'm going to try. I've bled them 5 times since i did the swap in the summer... Still cant get the squash out of my petal... I'm running out of ideas too... And yes, the calipers are mounted bleeder up.

Back