• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie locker?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i am wondering about this locker i have not heard much about them and i would like to know what people thing about them?

i am wondering about this locker i have not heard much about them and i would like to know what people thing about them?

if you havent heard of them, its because you havent been looking!

ive got a rear d44 with an aussie, and consider it basic running gear. i would never regear an open differential without installing one. ive also assembled similar d44's for friends, 3 total in the field, all belonging to happy drivers.

it can be noisy during break-in, and can remain somewhat clunky. i find it no big deal, as its on a jeep lifted 5", on 33's. some people say theyre too clunky, and possibly difficult to deal with in snow/icy weather... im in socal, i could care less!

Most everyone I know running them, loves them. Cheapest locker on the market.

i have them f+r and love them. not street legal so i cant tell you about the ice thing. but it takes some getting used to driving it on pavement with a 5 spd

and also it will only engage when i put it in 4 wheel drive correct? i know that a stupid question but i need to know haha
i have a 240sx with a 2 way lsd and it made a lot of noise lol

Ahh, noobies.:doh: There's got to hundreds of treads on Aussie's. Take few minutes and try out the search feature, it's fun. Hint: scroll down to the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
If you don't upgrade the front axle strength significantly, it is better to have something that will disconnect in the front.

well just to let that noobie basher i believe TREAD is wrong terminology lol didy you mean tHread haha
and the 240 with the dual over head cam puts out like 185 hp then you can get the SR20 or go big and just drop a skyline motor in :)

yes me like, what do you want to put it in?

What transfer case do you have? If its the NP231 you wont know its there untill your in 4wd. Its a no go with the NP242. And as far as axle strength you will be fine unless youre running bigger then 33s (some even run 35s) or drive stupid!, your axle will be just fine. You can always upgrade to the bigger u joints with full circle c clips. I have been running a lockright (same thing) in the front on 33s with no problems for over a year now.

I was under the impression that it will make the jeep a real pain to steer on the road unless you have a vaccume disconnect front axle. Correct me if i'm wrong because i've never had a locker in the front.
You might be better off with a limited slip like a true trac in the front. thats what my plan is because my xj is a daily driver.

What transfer case do you have? If its the NP231 you wont know its there untill your in 4wd. Its a no go with the NP242. And as far as axle strength you will be fine unless youre running bigger then 33s (some even run 35s) or drive stupid!, your axle will be just fine. You can always upgrade to the bigger u joints with full circle c clips. I have been running a lockright (same thing) in the front on 33s with no problems for over a year now.

No go with 242????

Why does it matter if you have the AWD option or not?

My understanding is 2wd means 2wd???? Or am I mistaken???:confused:

Back