• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel waterproofing

green_machine

NAXJA Forum User
I have a safari snorkel on the way and i am going to install it myself and i was wondering if there is any kind of waterproofing i neede to do to the electrical or anything else so i wont run into problems on the trail, i do plan on going through rivers, there is a hell of a lot of them up here in Alaska, thanks

off the top of my head. your gonna need to move all your breaters way up into the engine compartment or even into the snorkel would be ok. do something about waterproofing your starter, alternator,distributor, computer

im sure more people will chime in with other things

water isnt your friend.... thats forsure!

in 2009 i went through 4 starters... i just changed it last week.

alternators too.

but those are gonna go no matter what.

i left my fuses and ecu all in stock locations and they are fine.... i extened my vent tubes on my axles.

Water-proof the air box, distributor cap(extend the breather on that as well), extend the front/rear axle breathers, T-case breather, and tranny breather. I would run electric fans and have them both on a switch so you can cut them off while fording.

so basically i need to silicone the shit out of everything that air gets to and extend breather holes

don't silicone electrical stuff, if you have to replace it you will hate yourself. Use dielectric grease.

Other things to do - pack the TPS, MAP, and CPS sensor connectors with dielectric grease. Might want to consider doing this to the ECU connectors too.

Note - dielectric grease is special grease meant for insulating/waterproofing electronics, it does not conduct electricity, don't use normal stuff... some types may have materials in them which will increase leakage currents and throw some sensor readings off.

Back