• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 coil question

JeepXJ_90

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i got a rustys p.o.s lift kit should have spent the extra money and got a RE to start with. back end sits around 4.5 while the front dips low. even after adding a 2 in spacer. (suppost to be a 3 in lift) so my question is if i got the RE 4.5 in coils would i need to run new control arms, i have the stock ones in there now?

No way... Rusty's is top notch "knowledgeable XJ speciality shop that offers production kits for speciality applications"..

In any case I would say that your rear leafs will settle about 30-50% of the rated height in a short period, making the rear sit at advertised lift height.

As for the front 4.5" springs. that is kinda pushing it but you may be fine. That is about the cut off to a Yes or No question. If it was highter then get new arms, lower you would be ok.

The reason for the new arms is for pinion alignment and that can also be compensated for, with adjustable "cam bolts" that you can get cheap, yes prolly from rusty's too...

Absolutely do the upper control arms. if you search this modified tech discussion you'll find that I had the problem mentioned above: at even 3 inch Rubicon Express lift, after many miles, oh say 35,000, the front and rear output shaft seals on your transfer case will wear out and leak. It's not terribly expensive to fix, but you'll have to keep doing it. It worsens dramatically when the output shaft bearings wear out, you'll notice a squeal. that allows the shafts to wobble even more, leaking all you t-case fluid out.

Anyway, I have 4.75" lift with Rusty's spacers and shackles. the rear pinion angle is fine now as the shackles rotate the rear of the axle downward and the front pinion upward facing the t-case. While adding the shackles I immediately added an A/A HD SYE and Tom Wood's driveshaft.

The frontend however, I did not use longer upper control arms, as you can also read about in a modified tech discussion search for "upper control arms." My front pinion angle doesn't look too bad, but apparently it's enough to cause vibrations to wear out the front seal. I decided I wont be lifting this xj any more so went with Rusty's fixed upper control arms--i told them the lift, they manufactur the arms to the correct length. I'm putting them on this weekend.

Trust me, in the end you'll end up spending 10 times as much on repairs if you don't drop the 130$ for uca's.

funny how you had his problem too....I got the CRustys 3" which if you look at the parts is actually 3.5 inch leafs and 3" coils...I didnt even get 3 out of the coils and I got 4.5" out of the leafs....This week I'm putting in 4.5" RE coils, scraping that $hi**y a$$ rustys trac bar and putting adj RE LCAs in....I'll tell you how it looks and how it does once its all done

Andrew

I hate to hijack the thread, but I have 5.5" coils that I plan to use to replace 2" spacer + 3.5" lift springs. Do you guys think I'll need to get longer control arms and if so, who sells the best arms? I have the RE drop brackets and stock length short arms.

bigolexj said:
I hate to hijack the thread, but I have 5.5" coils that I plan to use to replace 2" spacer + 3.5" lift springs. Do you guys think I'll need to get longer control arms and if so, who sells the best arms? I have the RE drop brackets and stock length short arms.

why ditch the coils?

Yes, I am just moving to stiffer/taller coils and eliminating that poly spacer if I can. I recently installed a 100lbs winch and 75lbs bumper and the front is now sagging 3". So I take it my spring is either just too soft a spring or it's shot..lol

Can anyone recommend control arms? Should I go ahead and go to a clayton's LA conversion or just get adjustable lowers and uppers and keep the SA w/ drop brackets?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The following statement is from Rusty's Website way below. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MY knowledge / experience...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People used to complain about Rusty's leafs not giving enough height. People now complain about Rusty's leafs giving too much height. If his leafs are giving you too much lift and you complain... im sorry... YOUR AN IDIOT. Just take out the smallest leaf from the 6 leaf pack. Not enough? then... Take the 2 smallest leafs from the 6 leaf pack! He solved the problem of people putting 500+ lbs of gear in the rear and people still complain. I have Rusty's 6.5" leafs WITH somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 extra lbs in the rear AND I took out the bottom 2 leafs on each side. If it sags and its too low after a while... JUST PUT A LEAF BACK IN! people amaze me... enough said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've heard your springs sag, is this true?[/FONT]
Over 2 years ago the 4.5" and the 6.5" leaf packs had 5 leafs , plus I was using the same spring rate as the 3.5", They rode very good and flexed great. The problem arose when someone would add a bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, tool boxes and spare parts. They would add more parts than a 1/2 ton truck would hold up. The XJ is rated for less than a 1/4 ton, but they would put this gear and the springs would drop in height. Springs are rated by pounds needed to compress the spring. Our spring at that time where about 150 pounds , so for every 200 to 250 pounds in would come down an inch. Nothing wrong with that unless you are carring a big load, most of the customers loved them for the ride and flex and that is how I designed them.

Now Oct. of '02 we changed to a 6 leaf spring and have put the spring rate to just uder 200 lbs. Still the softest in the industry but will hold up the weight of tire carriers and gear. In the year of '04 I have not had to warranty a single leaf spring or coils spring.

As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech, Rubicon Express, Rubicon was having problems with their coil company and asked who we where using and are now using them.

The spring that we offer now is the best of both worlds. Some people that dont carry a load and want the softer ride will even pull the bottom 6th leaf out because they dont need the load capasity. The springs as well as all of Rusty's Off Road products carry a full Limited Lifetime warranty, which means that with a leaf spring; if it droops or breaks we replace, as long as it hasn't been in an accident or such.

Well I don't need to be looking at the ground when i drive because his leafs are to high...the point of ordering a lift kit is so the f***ing thing includes most of the pieces and is already done up...You should not have to take leafs out, and you shouldnt have to add a spacer in the front... He fawks his kits anyway sending 3" coils with 3.5" leafs....WTF he knows they are going to be higher why send bigger leafs like that??? and on top of that I didnt even get 3" out of my front coils so WTF...I'm sorry that I'm venting but I trusted Rustys against peoples recommendations and I got screwed just exactly the way they said I would

Andrew

A friend of mine just ordered the double stabilizer kit for his XJ (told him it was a waste of money) and he ended up paying $70 for shipping on a $100 part. Unbelievable. Rusty must be making a killing with those shipping prices. I can ship 20 stabilizers via overnight fedex for that much..lol!!!

Back