• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting demons

Rasputin

NAXJA Forum User
1991 4.0/auto(166,000 miles)

Jeep turns over, but won't start. When it choked, it backfired through the throttle body and has been down for the count since.

Have done or checked the following:

1. Had battery checked at Advance Auto = tested good
2. Cleaned and checked grounds
3. Replaced starter with new because it was only putting out 8 volts (so says wizards at Advance Auto)
4. Checked fuel pressure, measured 35 with key on, measured 40 while cranking.
5. Have good spark at coil and plugs
6. Checked all fuses and relays, and all were good
7. When it first died last Christmas, I pulled code 54, which I think was the sensor in the distributor, I replaced the distributor and indexed. Question is, if I put it in a tooth off, the engine should try and start, at least sputter, right?
a. While trying to get it to TDC, with the plugs out and belt off and turning clockwise, the thing was a bitch to turn by hand. I had a 19mm socket and cheater bar on it. It should be fairly easy to turn with the plugs/belt off. Could the bearings be shot?
8. All pulleys spun freely, except the alternator which sticks a little at one point.
9. CPS was tested and is good.
10. I always make sure the plugs are clean and dry when trying to start.
11. I have tried starting with carb cleaner in the throttle body with no luck.

There's probably things I've checked but have forgotten to list. Any suggestions on what to check for next would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking the engines shot. In which case, there will be a non-running Jeep with a 3" Superlift and 31 x 10. 50's for sale in the Hershey/Hummelstown, PA area.

I would try a compression test on all cylinders before I condemned the engine. This will tell you if its rings or valve problems. If the compression test is good, check your ignition timing again. Also check all your sensors and make sure they are within spec.

If the compression test is not good, pull the valve cover and make sure the camshaft is rotating when you are cranking it over. If its not, timing chain is broke.

Mine has 232,654 miles and it ran very well (although it has blowby) until this weekend when it lost one of its sensors and wont take the throttle.

Check you timing chain!!!

A week chain and a strong backfire can make it skip a tooth.

Thanks for the replies. I have the valve cover removed and the rotor turns when I bump the engine with key. Checking the timing chain to see if it's skipped has moved to the top of my list. If that looks OK, I'll check compression has suggested.

Back