• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommended tow hook brackets

SDHREDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
what do you guys recommend for tow hook brackets? I've been doing some searching and have found some from 50 bucks to over 100 and don't see much of a difference. I have a front hitch right now but I just got a new grill-guard bumper set up with a winch plate and the guy i got it from (89 Eliminator) tied it into his tow hook brackets for strength and I plan to do the same.

I would say save your money and try to get some shackles on a bumper. I have the stock brackets and a few weeks ago we went snow bashing and I had to be winched twice and bent both hooks and one of the brackets, plus I bent the other one giving a guy a hard tug. My 2 cents save your money and go bigger and stronger

I would say save your money and try to get some shackles on a bumper. I have the stock brackets and a few weeks ago we went snow bashing and I had to be winched twice and bent both hooks and one of the brackets, plus I bent the other one giving a guy a hard tug. My 2 cents save your money and go bigger and stronger

I tend to agree with this. I had the factory hooks for a while. I was pulled out many times with them (some serious pulls). The drivers side bracket's welds finally gave and it tore.

I have a set from rustys and thay haven't let me down yet, i plan on integrating them into my bumper mounts as well. They look a lot like the C4x4 ones but without the secondary bracket. That being said, i cave the C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier and would go back to that company in a heart beat. Great guys and great products.

I have the stock brackets and they seem pretty wimpy. Just one bolt in back and the three little bumper bolts in front. Seems like it wouldn't take too much to tear those off.

i have a very old set of rustys brackets (8 years old) on my street driven jeep, and a flat-tow bar mounted to them, and it has held up great.

i have the c4x4 brackets on my other heep and they are a much nicer piece (probably due to them being newer and cleaner)

given time, i would probably switch them, i like them that much more, especially on an application where it gets pulled/pushed a fair amount (flat tow)

tow bar has the center receiver mount, and i have recovered using it just fine (high-centered in the mud):
Dan+in+Trouble.jpg

I have a pair of Rusty's http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...Product_Code=RR-TH11-XJ&Category_Code=rec_hit
and a pair of Hicountry Offroad http://store.hicountryoffroad.com/J...t-with-D-Ring-Mounts-and-34-Shackles_p_5.html

Neither installed. I bought the Rusty's used and they look good. I then bought the Hicountry ones(new from a NAXJA'er) because I like the D-ring mounts with it. They both look strong and think either would do fine. I plan on using the Hicountry beacuase you don't have to remove the bumper to install(easier). The mount seems like it may be stronger also, I really don't know. The Hicountry D-ring mounts are cool and could be used on the Rusty's brackets if I wanted to.

D Ring shackles are the preffered method but;

Rusty's lists them but will refuse to produce them.

HiCountry are a difficult install and after all that work, they are too wide to get a shackle onto. Of course you could have the mount or the shackle milled to fit, but then your load rating is void.

C4x4 and nothing else, i never had a issue with mine, i also ran rustys for a short time, didnt take long to bend them

HiCountry are a difficult install and after all that work, they are too wide to get a shackle onto. Of course you could have the mount or the shackle milled to fit, but then your load rating is void.

Since these are what I was planning on using, can you elaborate on your comment? The install looks like it should be easy.

D Ring shackles are the preffered method but;

Rusty's lists them but will refuse to produce them.

Huh? I had a set of those (never mounted, sold to friend), but the idea is that instead of bolting a hook onto the bracket, you bolt on a d-ring mount that uses the same bolt pattern as the hook. That mount takes a standard 3/4" d-ring.

Back