• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire width causing back end slide

lozinge

NAXJA Forum User
I run 33x12.50x15 mt tyres. I find that in the mud the back end seems very light. It is a 4.0 auto and a 4.5 lift.
Was just wondering what you thought of this and what sort of width tyres do you run in the mud.
Also when driving along a road and hitting a puddle at 30 mph the front of the vehicle pulls in really hard which makes it quite dangerous to drive. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks

Loz

My XJ doesn't pull much at all hitting puddles, compared to independantly suspended front ends. On those other vehicles, good tread on the tires helped the most, along with good tie rod ends.

Okay, well supposedly you do not want a fat tire for mud, its heavier and sinks a lot easier, if you look at most mud boggers they run like a 38'' tall tire but only about 11'' wide for that reason, the thinner tire is lighter and can dig a lot better as opposed to just sinking. When I upgrade to 33's I fully intend on keeping a 10.5" tire because of that, and for the steering radius. Anyone can argue that because that's basically me shooting from the hip. Also maybe someone else can elaborate a bit better on it.

I used to run a land rover 110 on 35x12.50 and never had a problem ever. Was very stable off road and excellent on road too. Both vehicles were running the same make and pattern.
I thought the wider the tire the lighter the foot pattern, hence why they use wide tires in iceland on their icelandic motors.
I put the problem down too the back end being so light and with the wide tyres makes it too light footed causing the rear wheels to slide and not stick in the mud like narrower tires would. But maybe im wrong.

Okay, well supposedly you do not want a fat tire for mud, its heavier and sinks a lot easier, if you look at most mud boggers they run like a 38'' tall tire but only about 11'' wide for that reason, the thinner tire is lighter and can dig a lot better as opposed to just sinking. When I upgrade to 33's I fully intend on keeping a 10.5" tire because of that, and for the steering radius. Anyone can argue that because that's basically me shooting from the hip. Also maybe someone else can elaborate a bit better on it.
\
It is not the weight of the tire, it is just the distribution of weight from the vehicle. The weight difference between the tires themselves is existent, but not a very relevant variable in mud bogging, I don't think. Thinner tires will cut through the mud faster, because there are more pounds per square inch on the surface hitting the ground. It is not unlike cutting through an apple with the handle of a knife vs. the blade of a knife. On another note, a thinner tire will have a little less wind resistance on the road, so you may see a slight MPG advantage as well.
I am not sure what you mean by the turning radius, though. If having a 12.5" tire causes the tire to rub on something before you reach full lock, and a 10.5 doesn't, then I can see it. Other than that, I do not know how it would effect your turning radius.

I think your tread pattern or depth is your problem when it comes to hitting puddles. I am also guessing that if your tires cause problems hitting puddles then they also probably suck in the mud :). My BFG mud terrains used to do great when it came to hitting puddles. Now 6 years later with less tread they don't do so well.

I think your tread pattern or depth is your problem when it comes to hitting puddles. I am also guessing that if your tires cause problems hitting puddles then they also probably suck in the mud :). My BFG mud terrains used to do great when it came to hitting puddles. Now 6 years later with less tread they don't do so well.
The tires work well in the mud. They are kumho venture mt and have never had a problem with them. The puddle thing used to happen with standard road tires of the normal size with the lift. It is a pro comp lift using leaf packs not add a leaf.

mud tires will depend on how your driving it.
high rpm's and plenty of HP to keep the tires spinning can run fat tires that will float on top of the mud.
but if your boggin down or going slow, then thin tires will let you get down to the bottom of the mud for traction (if the mud is that shallow), otherwise the tread is going to be very important, thick lugs, wide gaps, which grab mud and then toss it and clear it away.

tire weight will not matter much, the 10-40lbs difference is negligible when driving a 4000lbs truck.

as for pulling when you hit a puddle, nature of the beast on that one. one tire hits water, which creates drag (very quickly) where as the other has none. so it will pull that tire (in the puddle) towards the puddle, since the tires are locked together its gonna happen.
double up on steering stabilizers if you wish, or just know its coming and be ready to re-act... I would try and not do it on the roads with others on it, so as not to endanger their lives aswell as your own, or your passengers.

Back