• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange issue with F-passenger speaker

argetni

NAXJA Forum User
It was not working when I bought the jeep. Following other posts on the site I found the wires were pulled apart in the rubber boot. I soldered the wires together and still no sound.
HERE is the odd part, if I touch the soldered wires to the metal on the door, I get a little spark and then the speaker works and sounds great. As soon as I stop holding it there, it stops working.
Thoughts?

Don't know what year xj, or if it has the original radio. It sounds like the radio right front channel has a grounded wire instead of a pair running to the speaker. Originally in older xj's, the right front speaker was driven by a black & white pair of wires from the radio & neither should be grounded.

Probably be best to pull the radio to see if there is a pair of black & white wires in the radio connector or maybe someone has cut one or the other and grounded it to the chassis of the jeep. Check the wiring connector with a ohmmeter or a continuity light to see if it is shorted to ground somewhere in it's route to the speaker.

Back