• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new shocks rancho rs5000 future questions

CLOISER

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up some rancho rs 5000 for my cherokee

here are the specs for front, rear

Compressed length: 13.000"
Extended length: 20.875"
Travel: 7.875"

Compressed length: 12.875"
Extended length: 20.000"
Travel: 7.125"

I plan on replacing my front springs and adding a leaf to the rear, maybe total lift ~2" within the next few months. Is this too much lift for the above shocks? Looking at either rusty's 2" coil or old man emu 930 or 934 coil. Would buy rusty's from rusty's and old man emu from rocky-road

thanks in advance guys!

If you are using an AAL i the rear you can use stock length shocks. If your new springs are 2" longer uncompressed, then your front shocks need to be that much longer too.

RS5000's are the worst handling shock I ever owned, street ride is poor at best. If you're going to run cheap shocks, Skyjacker Hydros with velocity-sensing valving are a much better choice.

XJEEPER:
Interesting, thought they would be step up from $20 shocks I've been running. Do you have anything to say regarding my initial question?

I guess just knowing travel, uncompressed, compressed length of stock shocks would help. Aslo, I checked Rancho out they list this shock for 0-1.5" lift so I think should be fine but want to make sure.

Thanks

Should be okay for 2" lift max, watch out for over extending the shock. Why not just buy sone coreect height Rusty's or other shocks, the Rustys shocks are about 30$ and from what I understand, ride decent.

I just installed a 4.5" kit and removed my 1.5" lift and Rubicon Nitrogen shocks. Its for sale cheap and the shocks are much better than 5000's.

Back