• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunk, very consistent

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I get an odd clunk on the driver side that I can feel in the floor mostly. It happens only when I am backing out of my driveway which is kind of steep and I turn sharply right. It doesn't happen any other time forward or backward. If I back out of the driveway straight or slightly turning I get no clunk.

What could cause a problem being on an incline and going backwards turning but not happen any other time?

possible a swaybar bushing mount on the frame or link end. need to get a extra set of hands out there and have them rock the wheel back and fourth while you feel for movement.

Check to see if the track bar mount on the left frame rail shows signs of movement also. Tighten all the bolts just to be sure. Check the track bar joint where it attaches to this bracket and see if there is slop in it.

Check the track bar bushing at the axle and the bushing or pivot at the frame end for wear, looseness or damage. Check the track bar and the frame bracket mounting bolts for proper torque, apply some thread locking compound if needed.

Thanks for the input guys I'm going to look at everything mentioned. I do need to find an extra set of hands though it's hard to rock the jeep and check for anything ha.

For the sway bar though, I just recently installed some poly sway bar bushings. I had the clunk before the bushing too so I don't think thats it.

I suggest that you torque the track rod bracket fasteners regardless of how it looks. They came off the transporter at the dealership brand spanking new with the bolts needing to be snugged up. We tightened them in the Pre-Deloivery Inspection to eliminate customers complaining of a pop in the front end of their new Jeep when backing out of their driveway.......

I suggest that you torque the track rod bracket fasteners regardless of how it looks. They came off the transporter at the dealership brand spanking new with the bolts needing to be snugged up. We tightened them in the Pre-Deloivery Inspection to eliminate customers complaining of a pop in the front end of their new Jeep when backing out of their driveway.......

Yea I am planning to do that, actually loosen then re-torque them.

I am also thinking maybe the steering box is causing this, maybe the spacer is cracked but that's just a guess.

I just had this same problem. Though mine would do it anytime I was backing up and hit the brakes, and I could feel the front axle slightly shift, but wouldn't do it going forward. It turned out to be worn lower control arm bushings.

I would also venture a guess that it's a control arm bushing.

My 2000 does the exact same thing under nearly identical conditions. I had some slop at both ends of the trac bar-after replacing it with a brand new bar, the clunk is still there.

i spent almost a year tracking down a clunk like that. i checked all of the above, replaced many parts(they needed it anyways) and it was still there. finally i had a eureka moment one day when i was laying underneath it, turns out it was the transmission mount. the bolts were "just" loose enough to allow a tiny amount of play under load and cause a clunk, 30 seconds of tightening and i haven't heard that sound since.

yours may be something different, just letting you know that almost anything can be suspect when it comes to the mystery clunk.

i spent almost a year tracking down a clunk like that. i checked all of the above, replaced many parts(they needed it anyways) and it was still there. finally i had a eureka moment one day when i was laying underneath it, turns out it was the transmission mount. the bolts were "just" loose enough to allow a tiny amount of play under load and cause a clunk, 30 seconds of tightening and i haven't heard that sound since.

yours may be something different, just letting you know that almost anything can be suspect when it comes to the mystery clunk.

Im still tracking mine down, its a little different though. Hope this mystery is solved soon, Ive been chasing mine for like a year and half.

Hallo. I do have the same clunk still after looking for it several months. It is the steering gear..... It is on my jeep only when I turn to the left.
I used a stethoscoop to find out.
good luck

wim '92XJ

I don't want to get my hopes up on this however... I replaced the motor mounts over the weekend and drove a few times since then and realized the last time I went out that I had no clunk.

I'm not sure if unknowingly I've just been pulling out of the driveway in a way to avoid the clunk or if it was the bad motor mount causing it. It's odd that the driver side mount was cracked and obviously bad after I took it off and that's where my clunk was. I'll see over the next few days when I go out I'll try and recreate the clunk if it's there or not.

Well, it's still there. I figured the motor mount was a long shot but I did get my hopes up. I'll look at it closer this weekend hopefully.

Did you ever look at the spacer for the steering gearbox?

Did you check your shock mounts?

Could it be a brake shoe in the rear that is hanging up--mine will do that randomly, really makes a noise when it lets go, but it does sound like its from the rear.

You stated it only does it when backing out--have you actually tried backing in to park to try to recreate the conditions?

Did you ever look at the spacer for the steering gearbox?

Did you check your shock mounts?

Could it be a brake shoe in the rear that is hanging up--mine will do that randomly, really makes a noise when it lets go, but it does sound like its from the rear.

You stated it only does it when backing out--have you actually tried backing in to park to try to recreate the conditions?

I put some c4x4 tow hooks on a few years ago and had the steering box off then. I replaced the spacer because it was cracked, I know that's common. I'm not sure if it is cracked again though. I'm really considering just replacing it with the one from JCR offroad and having that piece of mind there.

I just replaced the shocks recently and the mounts look good and are snug(I had the clunk before and after the shock replacing).

The clunk is definitely coming from the front end no question about it. I swear it feels like it rights under my left foot. However, I had a clunk when going over wash board surfaces a while ago that turned out to be my transmission mount. I swore that was right under my feet too...

I have backed up(into) the drive way and get no clunk, only with the conditions mentioned have I ever got it. I'm going to pay more attention now and see if there's a consistent point like when my rear wheels hit level pavement or anything like that.

I'm hoping the re-torquing of the track bar mount will be the fix.

Well, when you get it (not if--when!) post back and let us know what it was.

Good luck.

Back