• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed to open cooling system swap.

btam13

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Laredo 4.0 swapping to open cooling system. Does anyone know what the dealer part number is and where other than the dealer I may be able to get the lower radiator hose adapter that allows the use of the original temp switch from the 1990 radiator? I saw one referenced in a write-up on the switch but there was no part number or source listed.

thats not a temp switch that is a fan switch. uses your a/c fan as a aux fan. i never connected mine. but i had it hook up through a switch and relays anyways. there is a cooler one you can put in the water neck of the later model and wire into your harness. dont let it get as hot either. you can always just add a adjustable fan t-stat and wire the fan upto that

I am aware of all the other ways to do it, but what I am looking for is in my first post. That adapter that goes into the lower radiator hose. No need to splice anything other than a hose then. Just a part# and source. That's all I'm asking for. Thanks for the suggestions though lil_red_wagon.

1990 Laredo 4.0 swapping to open cooling system. Does anyone know what the dealer part number is and where other than the dealer I may be able to get the lower radiator hose adapter that allows the use of the original temp switch from the 1990 radiator? I saw one referenced in a write-up on the switch but there was no part number or source listed.

doesnt seem like a dealer part to me, hard to believe the dealer would sell an adapter for what you want to do. i would search jegs or summit.

Use a radiator out of a 91 or 92 it still has the port for the switch in the same place no fuss.
Just double check the radiator that you buy some have it some don’t . When I did mine I looked for and found one that did .it was a all aluminum .you didn’t specify if you all ready had one so..

Last edited:
The radiator is the CSF all metal. Ordered from a vendor on Amazon.com for about $160.00. I know CSF recently changed part numbers on this radiator application. Got rid of the 2571 I think and replaced it with another. It is on the way. I am gonna try to find some more specs on it today. I order the spice for the lower hose so I may just go that route.

Ok, just got an email from the company that was referenced in that link. They told me that the radiator hose splice is a discontinued part and that they no longer have one. Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just got an email from the company that was referenced in that link. They told me that the radiator hose splice is a discontinued part and that they no longer have one. Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct and it hasn't been available for years!

Here's what I did. I bought a all metal rad, removed the old aux fan switch bung from my old rad, cut a hole in the new one in the same place and soldered it to the new rad. If you don't feel capable have a rad shop do it. Simple.

Correct and it hasn't been available for years!

Here's what I did. I bought a all metal rad, removed the old aux fan switch bung from my old rad, cut a hole in the new one in the same place and soldered it to the new rad. If you don't feel capable have a rad shop do it. Simple.

I had thought of that possibility, the only problem with this approach is that the radiator that I am taking out and that has the fan switch in it has plastic tanks. The bung that the switch screws into is plastic.

Last edited:
Here: http://www.steigerperformance.com/

No need to thank me, just name your first born male child after me! LOL!

Thanks for the link. Sorry, my first born male child is 8 now and has a name. LOL!!! Anyway, the factory fan switch looks to be too big for the larger adapter listed. That one is listed as having a 3/8 NPT hole and the factory switch appears to be around 3/4. Maybe the adapter from Steiger could be bored out and re-taped to fit. I do like the design of the adapter. Looks like a quality piece. Are there any switches out there that anyone knows of that are of the smaller diameter and would have a similar trigger temp point as the factory switch?

Back