• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Leaf Bushings

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I installed RE 3.5" leafs Just about a year ago, Now the rear bushings are shot!
Where can I get a set of rubber bushings that are going to last more than a year?
I see quadratec sells OE RE bushings http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5504.htm
And they also sell these
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5504.htm

Which bushings are the better quality?
Did RE solve the bad bushing problem or (If I go for the RE Bushings) will I be replacing them again next year?

I went with RE Leaf packs because I thought they were very high quality, I never expected to be replacing bushings less than a year after the install,
My OE springs went into the garbage with good bushings on them even after more than 6 years & 110K miles of use, The RE bushings lasted less than 9K Miles !

It may or may not be part of the "bad batch" of rubber bushings but it may be worth it to try calling RE and see if they will do anything. They probably wont but its worth a try, also you can try Energy Suspension they sell a ton of bushings and there good quality.
http://www.energysuspension.com/

Your links look like the same thing....both RE replacment bushings.

I installed RE 3.5" leafs Just about a year ago, Now the rear bushings are shot!
Where can I get a set of rubber bushings that are going to last more than a year?
I see quadratec sells OE RE bushings http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5504.htm
And they also sell these
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5504.htm

Which bushings are the better quality?
Did RE solve the bad bushing problem or (If I go for the RE Bushings) will I be replacing them again next year?

I went with RE Leaf packs because I thought they were very high quality, I never expected to be replacing bushings less than a year after the install,
My OE springs went into the garbage with good bushings on them even after more than 6 years & 110K miles of use, The RE bushings lasted less than 9K Miles !

you posted the same link.

other then bad bushings, could you have overtorqued the shackle to spring bolt causing the bushings to bind?

i also had a bushing go bad in my RE leafs, it was the front mount, I am selling the kit though cause I went to a 6.5in big offroad kit. is there a recall on RE bushings cause I can let the guy know that is buying them off me?

If the only bad bushings were on Control arms then Why would they be wearing out in a years time on leaf springs?

you posted the same link.

other then bad bushings, could you have overtorqued the shackle to spring bolt causing the bushings to bind?

Sorry, Here is the correct link http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_06.htm

FSM say's 85-105 Ft Lbs for the shackle bolts, I set them to about 95ft Lbs.
FSM say's 95-115 for the bolt that holds the leaf to the frame, I set those to about 110 Ft Lbs, But they seem to be holding up, No signs of wear at all.
The passanger rear is so bad that I have Bolt to shackle contact, The rubber is almost gone!

The bad bushings RE had were on control arms only

I have seen 3 cases Locally & read about a bunch more here of RE leaf bushing crapping out fast, all recently.

Last edited:
I can understand your frustration, but usually a bushing crapping out will be caused by something else IE a worn bushing bolt, loose ubolts or something along those lines. In all honesty, if your using your rig for anything other than a DD its hard to expect bushings to last a year with zero effect...not sure how bad they are worn, but when you lift a rig the maintainance aspect goes through the roof.

I can understand your frustration, but usually a bushing crapping out will be caused by something else IE a worn bushing bolt, loose ubolts or something along those lines. In all honesty, if your using your rig for anything other than a DD its hard to expect bushings to last a year with zero effect...not sure how bad they are worn, but when you lift a rig the maintainance aspect goes through the roof.

I am using my rig exactly the say way i used it when it had the Factory leafs on it, My Factory springs had Terraflex Shackles & 2" blocks installed, I figured they had seen enough abuse (Because of the blocks) so I went for the RE leafs.
I look over my rig all the time, Nothing loose or worn.
And there is no frustration here, I'm just asking who sells the best rubber bushings, I don't want to be replacing them again next year!

Last edited:
I dont think changing manufacturers will give you any added benefit, RE makes some great products. I have 2 complete leaf bushing sets if your looking for a replacement, I will sell you one cheap. I have been looking to fit up a grease fitting to make lubrication a possibility as it appears that RE does not sell the greasable pins anymore.

I dont think changing manufacturers will give you any added benefit, RE makes some great products. I have 2 complete leaf bushing sets if your looking for a replacement, I will sell you one cheap. I have been looking to fit up a grease fitting to make lubrication a possibility as it appears that RE does not sell the greasable pins anymore.

Yes they do make a great product, But recently There has been a problem with their bushings, Just search & you will see for yourself what I mean.

The problem RE had with bushings on the control arms was because the mfg they were using decided to change the formula for the bushings without permission which resulted in a bad product, they fired that mfg and have a new one now, it is not the same one that makes the leaf spring bushings. I am not sure if they switched leaf spring mfg's but it does seem that folks have been complaining about them alot this past year. Before that you never heard anyone complain about the leaf packs.

RE leafs are ok. I wouldn't be surprised if the bushings took a dump.

Mine don't sag much, but they are showing wear. One leaf resents the rest of the pack, and it is fanning out. And I've got the much sought after torque twist sag, so the pass side sits lower. 15,000 miles on my 3.5 kit.

2 of my bushings went in my leafs and they fan out like all hell. they just went on in august.

they wont warranty the bushings ive already tried.

Did you replace them with RE bushings or some other brand?
I am very hesitant to spend $72 on RE bushings if they are going to crap out again, Only If they changed Mfg's or improved the bushings I would spend the money.

Last edited:
I took out the old bushings today, The frame side were ok, The shackle side were gone!
Remember only 9K miles! They came out easy, I punched them right out with a 5 Lb sledge & Big punch !
FranksCamera01-22-10131.jpg
FranksCamera01-22-10132.jpg
FranksCamera01-22-10133.jpg

FranksCamera01-22-10134-1.jpg

The bad bushings RE had were on control arms only

Actually the "bad batch" was not just the control arms, and it was not just Rubicon Express lots of rubber product and companies got a bad batch if rubber products from valve stems, shock bushings, CA bushings and leaf pack bushings. At work I deal with many different lift brands and we have seen it in many different products.

I took out the old bushings today, The frame side were ok, The shackle side were gone!
Remember only 9K miles! They came out easy, I punched them right out with a 5 Lb sledge & Big punch !

That sucks. What a pain in the ass.

Back