• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 coil pack mounting on 0630?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have a buddie with a 2000 tj and he just found a crack in his head, which wasn't totally unexpected. But now he needs a new head and he would like to go with the 0630 one so we don't have this problem again. so here are my concerns..

How do you mount the coil packs on the 0630 head?

would it be okay to pull one from a junk yard?

And would the stock exhaust bolt up to the older head?

Thank you for your time guys, i appreciate it.

No one?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66515&highlight=coil+pack+rail+mounting

Been done before! you just kind of need to fab something up to mount the coil pack rail....if you pull a head from a JY motor, I'd still have a machine shop check it out...or you can buy one from somewhere like Alabama Cylinder Head with the coil pack mounts built in and the proper pattern for the intake/exhaust manifolds. If you use a 99 head, you'll have to fab up a "gasket" to properly mate the intake/exhaust manifolds....the port size/patterns are just slightly different.

Please search. These are LONG threads that cover this extensively. It is easy to make up some little brackets from Home Depot hardware for that. No, the exhaust manifold ports are smaller than the ports on the old head. I would suggest picking up a header made for the older head. Then you also have to adapt the exhaust at the pipe end. Or fabricate a plate to reduce the exhaust port size. The '00 header will not hold the gasket in place well enough to the 0630 head. If you pick up a JY head, go though it first and check for flatness and valve stem clearance. Also replace the core plug at the back of the head. If they rust out later, it's a major project to replace. Search "0331 head".

Back