• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion nut too tight?

If you tighten the pinion nut down too much, will it cause the gears to squeak?

What axle? If it is a crush sleeve type then all kinds of damage can occur from the pinion bearing pre-load being too much. With a shim type then I doubt you can get more than 300ftlbs on it with out using a breaker bar and pipe.

If you tighten the pinion nut down too much, will it cause the gears to squeak?

The pinion nut torque affects pinion bearing preload. It has nothing to do with the gears.

edit: With either crushed sleeve design, or shim design, you can not simply torque and walk away, you must check your preload settings, and adjust accordingly. With Shims, you add or subtract shims. With a sleeve, you add torque until you have the correct preload.

Ron

Last edited:
Are you sure it's gear noise and not bearing noise?

It sounds identical to the squeak I heard when the diff fluid got low when the seal sprung a leak. No, I didn't drive it with no fluid.

Best I can describe it, is it sounds like angry chirping birds. Chirps more with increase in speed.

I want to say there that it chirps ~4 times per tire rotation, but I can't validate that.

edit: it's definitely not a brake squeak.

Back