• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need specs. on parts for nw purchase

Indian Joe

NAXJA Forum User
recently purchased a "97 XJ, w/56,000 miles and appears to be in really good condition. I want to do a complete service job on it which would include, replace or change the following:
1. fuel and air filters, serpentine belt, anti-freeze, spark plugs and of course oil and filter along w/a good lube job, check all fluids etc.
Where can I get info. on part numbers for the belt, spark plugs what type of fluids for the tranny, transfer case etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

this will probably sound like a cop-out, but the easiest way is to write a list of what you want and hit your local parts store. Tell them everything you need and ask for a printout of the items. They will ask any necessary questions to determine the correct parts and print you a list. For fluid types and capacities, most stores have the info handy, but you can use the "search" feature on here to get the specifics as well.

In what part of Hellaware are you located?

spark plugs - you want the OEM types, not any sort of gimmicky crap or high performance ones. I believe either Champion truck plugs or NGK are the ones people generally recommend around here, not sure.

fuel/air filters, serp belt, etc go with Shorty's recommendation.

fluids:
if manual tranny, GL-3, or yellow metal safe (MUST say this) GL-5, or synthetic 10w30. Your choice.
if automatic, a good brand's DexIII/Mercon ATF is recommended. NOT any other ATF.
transfer case - any ATF really, I use cheap Coastal Dex/Merc in this, it doesn't really care what you give it so long as it's not too thick for the pump.
anti-freeze - standard green
oil - 5w30 or 10w30 (5w30 in winter is what I do), you can go synthetic if you want
filter - do NOT use fram/STP/other cheap brands, go with a Wix or Purolator
diff fluid - whatever cheap diff fluid you like, follow the manual's specs for viscosity since I believe it's different when towing, make sure you add LSD additive if you have LSD

You should probably flush your brake fluid and power steering fluid as well. Follow whatever DOT recommendation is on the brake fluid reservoir cap, I think it's DOT 3 but I'm not sure. PS fluid is clear PS fluid, not ATF like some Fords.

Other things to look at - bulbs (I keep some spares in the glovebox with the spare fuse kit), cap&rotor, thermostat if the engine starts running cold (use only 195 degree thermostats), grab some throttle body cleaner and clean out the throttle body and especially the IAC valve seat if you have a rough idle, check to see if your brake lines, tranny cooler lines, or fuel return lines are overly rusted (your fuel line should be perfect, it's stainless steel), make sure the rubber brake lines are not cracked or swollen, check your harmonic balancer, and make sure your rear main seal is not leaking.

Grease zerk locations - one on the side of the front driveshaft, one at each end of the tie rod, one at each end of the drag link, upper balljoints, sometimes one on each U-joint.

Back