• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new(to me)xj, no front driveshaft

xjnewbe

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 94 2door, and there was no front drive shaft, when trying to find one from sombody selling parts, is there anything different about the ones in 4door or the all time case? mine is part time and automatic

any front shaft from an automatic should work for you. 4dr vs 2dr are exactly the same wheelbase and drivetrain. You could also get one out of an MJ, if for some reason you found a junked 4wd automatic MJ.

There is probably a reason it was removed though - is your front axle in good condition? I would check the pinion bearings, ring/pinion teeth, axle shafts + U-joints, and transfer case gears+chain+front output before bolting in a new shaft.

yeah i just bought it and he said that the drive when under power was skipping like the chain in the case but i tried it today and couldnt get it to do what he sid it was doing, but i figured i needed to have the shaft in to find out what exactly he is talking about

Probably. At most it'll cost you about a hundred to pick up a new transfer case from a junkyard anyways, so really no big deal... or if it hasn't destroyed the gears+case in the transfer case you can put in a new chain alone. I know RockAuto sells them among other companies.

Also a common reason for why the front drive shaft is removed/missing is mis-matched front and rear differential gearing. The ratios must be same. You should check that out.

Just stick to another XJ 87-01 auto trans one and it will be fine, but as mentioned above if the gears are different you'll have a problem. You can put the Jeep on jack stands, t-case in neutral and turn the pinion yoke 1 turn while counting the turns the wheel makes to see if they are the same. Another thing is it's probably a good idea to pull the front cover, look inside there to see if everything looks ok, and change the fluid while you are at it.

Back