• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'misfire' codes..WTF

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
'01 XJ. Has about 100k. Purchased in AZ and brought to CO.
Upon start up, it runs like absolute crap, and throws codes for misfires in cylinders 3 and 5.

As it's not my jeep I can't really get time to look at it. But curious what you guys might think would be a good starting point?
Coilpack? Spark plug? Injector?

Last edited:
Sorry. A bit more info.....

It doesn't always start and run like crap. Sometimes it runs just fine.

After driving it a shirtways the 'roughness' goes away and it drives fine. Even with the check engine light still on.

When running rough. The jeep requires a lot of throttle before idle will pick up.

'01 XJ.
Upon start up, it runs like absolute crap, and throws codes for misfires in cylinders 3 and 5.

[FONT=&quot]Does it do it when starting cold or on hot re-starts?

Hot re-start misfire problems are common in the 2000-2001 XJs due to the location of the two mini-cats, located in the exhaust manifold.
A search will find a lot of information on this.

Cold start problems could be a lot of things; bad plugs, plugged injectors, failing coil packs, etc.[/FONT]

... it drives fine. Even with the check engine light still on.

Download the CEL codes and start there.

Get some tuneup parts, Throttle Body and Idle Air Controller cleaner spray, and some injector cleaner while you are having the codes downloaded at the auto parts store.

It may be the heat-soak problem, even when cold. Doesn't sound logical, but the result of the heat-soak issue is pooled fuel in the intake causing rough running on hot restart, but that fuel pools in the intake when shut down for the day too.

As said, search heat-soak.

Quick and dirty test for heat-soak: after driving the vehicle until it is good and hot, shut it down and open the hood. Leave the hood open for about 30 minutes to an hour. If after doing this, on restart if the symptoms are gone or less severe, you have heat-soak.

Been reasearching the hear-soak issues and seems like a good probability to be the issue my friend is having. I'll be sure to try and do the simple 'tests' for heat soak and see what happens.
Thanks for the info guys

There may be a controller flash and there was a recall for intake manifold debris shield along with a tsb about hot soak and insulating the #3 injector. Only the CA emissions package (used by 4 other states) had the pre-cats, the federal ones just had a Y pipe.

For misfires, I always start with fresh plugs. Don't want to be chasing your tail for a worn plug.

TSB is for heat soak misfires and rought starts; cylinder #3 which is most susceptible. The mfg. fix though of insulating the injector is getting mixed results. Works for some, helps a little for others, of no value to some as well.

Running fuel injector cleaner (Lucas/Techron, etc) never a bad idea

Coil pack is also a possibility as well as fuel injectors.

my mother's 4.7 v8 WJ is doing the same thing.... could it be related to this problem at all? I realize it's a different engine, but I'm stumped. coil packs replaced and injectors machine cleaned already.

Last edited:
my mother's 4.7 v8 WJ is doing the same thing.... could it be related to this problem at all? I realize it's a different engine, but I'm stumped. coil packs replaced and injectors machine cleaned already.

Is the WJ really misfiring or just setting codes? It could be the PCM (setting codes but runs fine), plugs, coils, wiring, or valves/seats (seen a few drop valve seats but you'd have more issues).

Back