• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix: Fuel, Spark, no fire?

WrenchMonkey

NAXJA Member #771
NAXJA Member
89 XJ, 4.0 AW4, 200k.

Ran pretty good til two weeks ago.

Now it'll crank til it floods and I can smell the gas.

I pulled a plug, and I'm getting good spark.

A couple times it did backfire, but it just won't start.

A bad CPS will give no spark at all, right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Robert

sounds crazy but if you have spark, fuel and no start, I would check the distributor... might be 180 out. Unless you didn't touch it. I would also check MAP sensor... you want a good vac line and 5 volts with key on at the plug.

Check the voltage at the battery, static and while cranking. Starters are stone-stupid, they only care about amps for cranking, but the electronics will do weird things when the voltage drops below 9 volts.

Verify your exact fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail with a gauge.

Strong, blue, snapping spark at the plug eliminates the crank sensor as a cause.

The camshaft position sensor (inside the distributor) can be tested with a meter. Not as common of a cause for a no-start, but I've seen it.

Get those plugs out of there and replace or dry them out before trying again. Don't want to sabatoge your troubleshooting efforts with fouled spark plugs.

...check the distributor unless you didn't touch it...
Nope, I replaced an axle seal, backed it out of the garage, and turned it off. Two hours later, no start. Nothing else was touched.

I would also check MAP sensor... you want a good vac line and 5 volts with key on at the plug.
I checked, and it is hooked up. Will check voltage tomorrow.

Try unplugging the TPS and try to start it
Never heard of that. I'll try it, but why?

check compression. A frequently flooded engine will have fuel in the crankcase...reducing compression.

She's so old n tired, I shudder to think what the compression was, anyway! :rolleyes: :D

Check the voltage at the battery...

I cranked it about dead last week, then the cold weather finished it off. I put in a new one this morning. No change.

Injector stuck?

Crossed my mind, but I think it'd run (poorly) with one or even two stuck injectors / flooded cylinders.

Verify your exact fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail with a gauge.
I don't have a gauge, but I can get one. But would too much or not enough pressure cause it to flood before starting? :dunno:

Strong, blue, snapping spark at the plug eliminates the crank sensor as a cause.
Cool, thanks. It was a nice stong spark, so one less thing.

The camshaft position sensor (inside the distributor) can be tested with a meter.
Not just a volt meter? I'd guess it'd be more a timing thing.

Get those plugs out of there and replace or dry them out before trying again. Don't want to sabatoge your troubleshooting efforts with fouled spark plugs.

I think that should probably be my first step. I unplugged the fuel pump and cranked it a bit, assuming it would blow itself out. That's probably not good enough...

Thanks, guys, I'll post up when I know or try more!

Robert

Sounds like wet fouled plugs. Pull all the plugs and go get a cheap set of Champions. Let the cylinders air out, maybe even hold the pedal to the floor and crank it a couple of times before installing the new plugs. If you have compressed air, give a 60 second shot in each cylinder.

This is very common. Once the plugs get wet, they don't fire well in a heavy mixture atmosphere.

MAP sensors can cause flooding. Check the vacuum line to it first.Could be broken or melted making the sensor think there is low vacuum and increasing the fuel flow to the injectors.

Has anybody else had trouble getting a set of plug wires that actually fit?

Last time, they sold me seven wires the exact same length, so the #3 and #4 are too long, #2 and 5 are about right, and #1 and 6 are strung like banjo strings.

Now when I try to pull those two off, the damn crimped ends separate and stick to the plugs, because they've been pulled at a 90* angle for six months.

So I need new ones, but I really hate to buy another set that won't friggin fit.

But apparently, that's all anybody sells...

(Sorry for the rant, but it shouldn't be this hard...)

Robert

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but the set of Duralasts I got at AutoZone actually fit pretty nicely, and they haven't quit on me yet!

Advance and AutoZone were the ones that were all seven the same length.

Got a set of General Cable (I think it was) at OReilly's, made right in HighlandHeights KY, right across the river.

They look good, they go on in the morning...

Robert

I screwed around with one car years ago that had your same symptoms. Finally I checked the compression. It was only 100 and just not enough to fire it off. Hone and re-ring fixed it. You have to pull the plugs anyway. May as well check the compression. It can keep a motor from running. I've seen it.

It might be completely unrelated but my 92 will do this sometimes, try putting the pedal to the floor while starting it, it will cut off the fuel and it should start if its still flooded. you could also pull the fuel pump relay, start it wait for it to die and put it back in.

I was under the impression that the Renix would still start with a bad cam sensor, although it may run crappy if it guesses wrong.

My understanding is the same. The only sensor that will keep the Renix from running is the CPS/CKP crank sensor; all of the others will make it run poorly.

Back