• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers

brokenpaddle

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone run headers on their XJ? I'm thinking of upgrading my exhaust manifold, and it seems like a good idea. I'm already running a flowmaster muffler, but think this would help out performance wise. Should I expect much better gas mileage or just a throatier sound?

-B-

Anyone run headers on their XJ? I'm thinking of upgrading my exhaust manifold, and it seems like a good idea. I'm already running a flowmaster muffler, but think this would help out performance wise. Should I expect much better gas mileage or just a throatier sound?

-B-

what year?

before you replace the exhaust manifold, make sure the engine mounts arnt worn out.

is your manifold cracked.

Unless you have some other mods you won't see any gain from a header. Good engine mounts will help prevent cracking. I welded the gap between the tubes on mine and have had no further cracking since then.

I wish i still had the one from my old tj, every time it cracked i welded it up and plated the area with 18ga. It stopped cracking eventually but i think i could have used it as a jack point

I have a Banks Header on my stroker and i have been very pleased with it. I'd recommend it. I've heard Banks and Borla make the two best headers performance wise for the XJ

IMG_5106.jpg

I have a Banks Header on my stroker and i have been very pleased with it. I'd recommend it. I've heard Banks and Borla make the two best headers performance wise for the XJ

IMG_5106.jpg

Too bad somebody cracked that valve cover................ :D

IMG_5106.jpg

X2 I've got a buddie with the banks one and i'm VERY jealous. All stainless steel and he claims 30 more miles per tank. ( but that is compaired to his old cracked one, but still) I have a pacesetter on my 89, but i'm deff. getting the banks one for my 01.

I've been building up my xj on the low for a few months now and also using the installs for tech stories in a couple magazines. I'll pass along more info once the articles hit the stands. That said, stay tuned for a brand new header (they call it hedder) from Hedman. The design and install will be fully covered. Design wise, an employee at Hedman worked for Clifford for years. I was the GM over there until Jack passed away in 2001 as well. So there is a fair amount of knowledge behind their new hedder. Anyway, stay tuned for their release in the next couple of months.

Back