• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bell housing

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a automatic 96 xj that has 6.5 inches of lift and 33s. I have been working on installing a new bell housing and was looking at the old one (which is in 3 pieces) and I was wanting to know what could cause this?? Any ideas would be great its my DD and I havent wheeled it in about 3 months TIA

When this happened to me, the bolts holding the BH to the trans. had loosened up. I think mine was in about 10 pieces. Also took a chunck out of the trans.
HPIM1492.jpg

JIM.

ive seen a torque convertor bolt work its self loose and do this at high rpm, but it also cracked the block and went through the floor, but it would have made a loud knocking for a little while before it came out.

To my knowledge the bellhousing has never been apart from the tranny or the engine (not saying thats not it) is there anything else that could cause this??

are your motor mounts stock? and leaking exhaust manifold?

if the answer is yes to either or both of those questions then you need to replace your motor mounts. the xj mm's are known to wear out and the drivers side does even faster when you have the all too common exhaust leak on the header.

To my knowledge the bellhousing has never been apart from the tranny or the engine (not saying thats not it) is there anything else that could cause this??

I've owed a many of XJ and have seen it to be a common problem for the torque converter bolts to back them selves from the flywheel causing the XJ to sometimes knock the stop or get worse at high rpms. This might've happened to you

Back