• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Issues

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
just a little back info before i get started...

I bought a 1986 XJ waggy for $250 running with the V6 2.8L engine. I "had" what used to be a 93XJ (cut all the sheet metal off it). The 2.8L blew-up, so the wife and I decided to do an odd swap.

We took the axles, transmission, transfer-case and engine (4.0L) (including the electrical) off the 93 and transplanted it all into the 86. I didn't have the interior wires from the 93 anymore.

After a few slight mods on the fuse box (jumping the batt to ign via a switch and installing another switch to start it) we got the hybrid beast to start. It drives fine and runs like a champ.

However.... some of the 93 wiring from the engine match up with the interior wiring. I had to re-run wires to get some stuff to work. The lights, blinkers, heater blower :yelclap: all work. With the switch on (the batt->ign) and the key on, i can get the power winders to work :yelclap:.

THE ISSUE:

I just re-did the instrument cluster. I knew the 86 cluster wouldn't work, so i jumped onto alldata to cross-reference all the wires to make the swap easier. After getting all the wires switched over to the 93 wire harness for the cluster, the fuel gauge doesn't work (low fuel light lights up and needle goes waaay past full) and bright lights indicator stays lit. The tach, engine maintenance light, and speedometer wires i ran directly to the computer. These don't work ether.

If i left out any info, please ask. I don't want to have to find a complete 93 interior wiring harness and re wire everything.

Please Help.

At some point Jeep, in their infinite wisdom, reversed the way the fuel gauge sender and gauge work. In the Renix 1 ohm=empty, 44 ohm =1/2, 88 ohm = full. They reversed the order, and I don't know the specific ohm values.

Not sure if that is your problem, try a search on fuel gauge and fuel senders, you should find the info on NAXJA.

Ok, so you have 93 pump/sending unit with a 93 cluster? Then forget my earlier post.

There is no ground to the starter that I know of. It grounds directly to the block/bellhousing and has a heavy B+ feed and a solenoid trigger feed.

Fuel sender issue - my bet is a short somewhere, since a 93 (as per Joe's post) has high resistance = empty and your gauge is pegging out high.

dash indicator lamps - do they flash on like normal at startup or no? If they turn off at startup and then turn back on afterwards, it might be a positive vs negative side switching issue of some sort, though I'm not sure how that would happen with the cluster and ECU matched.

Did it fix the fuel gauge issue? I'm assuming it accurately reads "empty" at all times now... ;)

Too bad it burnt up. I was going to recommend an Autometer fuel gauge as a solution.

Back