• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 fog light relay question?

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Will the stock relay for the fog lights support 100w KC daylighters using 14g wiring from the lights to the relay to the stock foglight switch? And also the relay is a 3 tab spade style, does anyone know what spade is which(I.E. ground, constant, load)? And can they be run off the stock switch usind high beam, low beam, and no lights at all? I figured if i ran all my own wiring and ran a constant hot it wouldn't matter wether the lights are on or off... anyway some help would be appriciated...

Thanks,

-PJ-

The stock wires and relay are barely enough to run the stock 55w fog lamps. Use the factory switch to trigger a standard Bosch relay and install your own power leads and light wires. You can use any circuit to power the relay, it has little to no power draw by itself.

They're kinda anemic, but the wiring is really what's crappy. Chrysler was (and probably still is) big on saving pennies by using the absolute bare minimum wire gauge on everything. This is the cause of many common issues on the XJ - among them, the issue with the blower motor switches/wiring, the dim headlight problem, the dim fog light problem, the grounding strap at the back of the head issue, the battery wiring... etc etc.

:dunno: I'm not sure how much current it's rated for, it probably can handle it. It's more of a hassle to reuse the existing relay than it is to just use a new one that is definitely rated for the current though, so why bother?

EDIT: also, I'd go for 12 gauge or maybe even 10 gauge wire personally. I like overkill though.

Back