• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high output Alternator

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 160 amp alternator on the way. My question is it said when i bought it i have to upgrade the alternator cable. The only mod i have done to my jeep is i put an electric fan in place of the clutch. If that the only thing i have added do i really have upgrade the cable. Just wanted you guys thoughts

You should upgrade the wiring and circuit protection (fusible link or add a big fuse/holder I got at a marine store.

I work at a shop where we rebuild alternators and starters. Any time I sell a higher than O.E. amp alternator I recommend a wiring upgrade, its just a suggestion but its better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to electrical systems.

I done mine about a mo a go.Made a big diff starts better and lights are brighter.I had just put in a new battery so fig while I was at it . Got 4ga cable longer than i need and crimp on ends I think i had about 30.00 in mine all together.Got cables at orelliys my battery had both reg and screw termals on it and I used the screw ones.

If you want to take full advantage of the uprated unit, a wiring upgrade (and a fuse upgrade - don't run without one!) is in order.

The OEM wiring is "just enough" for the OEM alternator at full output and relatively low full-power duty cycles - swing to full output, and you're likely to cook something. 4AWG is a bit light for 160A (for safety's sake,) but you can get away with it if you don't use full output too much. If you plan on a bunch of electrical upgrades (which is why you went to the larger alternator, no?) you'll want to go at least 2AWG - 1AWG gives you plenty of safety margin.

Hit me backchannel if you want to know more.

I made my own cables from 2ga red and black dual insulated welding power cable. I used Quick Cable's plated cast copper battery clamps and 175A fuse/holder. All connections are soldered and I used marine grade heat shrink with meltable inner liner to seal them. The whole cable assembly was then protected by braided higher temp sleeving which was also heat shrunk in place. I think that will last me for a while, lol.

One of the interesting things I ran into this time was that it's not so easy to find quailify fine strand cable anymore locally. I ended up getting it online and had it shipped to me.

Thanks for all the in put. Like i said i dont plan on doing any big electrical upgrades soon or in the near future. I just want to put the high output because of my electric fan i installed.
When im stopped and have the headlights on and the fans kick in the voltmeter gose near the red and all my lights dim if i rev up the engine it will come back up but falls back down at idle. Heck that 100amp factory can hardley run all the factory electrics in a jeep.

MJR has it pretty accurate as far as what to do. It's not that far off of what I did in my Chrysler 300M Special.

If you're gonna upgrade the alt, you might as well do the "Big 3". In my car I did the following:

1/0 Marine Grade Battery Cable with lugs soldered and heat-shrunk from:
Alt to battery, battery to ground, engine to ground.

It's a good way to overhaul your charging system and to acommodate your new alternator.

I have upgraded from the stock alt to a 118A from a Dakota.

FWIW I have driven it w/o burning anything out, but a wiring/fuse upgrade is definitely on the list of things to do before I start driving the Jeep more frequently. Granted 160A is a big jump from 118A... so you may run into issues quicker than I did.

You'll want to upgrade the wiring as the factory wiring has 2 60A maxi fuses in the PDC under the hood. First time there's a big draw on the system and that alt tries to push the current you're going to be popping fuses/ burning fusible links quickly which has the possibility to lead to an electrical fire under the hood.

This is another thread where knowing what the OP is driving would be nice.

What is the malfunction with providing that basic information when asking a question?

Hi guys,
I have a 92 xj sport 5 spd and I just upgraded my alternator as well. I went from the stock 90amp to a 136 amp from a 98 dodge ram. My question is should I replace/upgrade the wire on mine as well? This is my first build so I want to do it right. Any info would be great.Thanks

MJR has it pretty accurate as far as what to do. It's not that far off of what I did in my Chrysler 300M Special.

If you're gonna upgrade the alt, you might as well do the "Big 3". In my car I did the following:

1/0 Marine Grade Battery Cable with lugs soldered and heat-shrunk from:
Alt to battery, battery to ground, engine to ground.

It's a good way to overhaul your charging system and to acommodate your new alternator.

Gotta admit - going with 0AWG is getting a bit silly - but at least your heart's in the right place! Unless you uprated to somewhere north of 200A, you're going to be plenty safe using 0AWG (even 1AWG or 2AWG would be fine for a 200A unit...)

Just a little info to backup 5-90 (not that he needs it) but I just picked up some #1 welding cable yesterday to use for my rig. The guys said that #2 is rated to 250A and #1 is rated to 300A capacity.

My question was a generic cherokee question. Didnt really matter what year it is.
If you must know its a 1990 4door Laredo.

It MATTERS, you asked the question, don't you want an accurate answer? How would you like to try to help people out and constantly have to ask them, what are the specifics of the vehicle?

Diff. years, diff. components.

BTW if your question was so generic, than why didn't you use the generic search function? You would have found your generic answer.

Back