• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freebie jeep build with D44's and long arms

silvrzuki77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey been lurking around here while collecting parts for my XJ. This is my 3rd xj and this one I got for free from the inlaws after their son left for the marines. Its a 2001with about 75000 on it. Had several electrical problems that was from bad wiring from the amp he had installed. Lots of little issues. Replaced all the seats from a grand cherokee and installed the over head trip computer. This is going to be my DD and Over built camping rig. Already have a crawler so trying to keep body damage to min. Here is when I got it.
PICT0014-2.jpg

part of electrical problem ( dont ask I dont know)
PICT0012-2.jpg

85 waggy axle now loaded with all new hardware 4.56 and ez locker
waggyaxle.jpg

Before and after my $5 pic apart hubs to switch out the full time hubs
carpartsLandon001.jpg

Rear 44 from isuzu rodeo with 4.56 and truetrac
PICT0086-1.jpg

TNT truss cut set 5 degrees
PICT0081-1.jpg

All welded on
PICT0082-1.jpg

soo purrty
PICT0084-1.jpg

For lift I did a mix and match of different parts
RC long arm kit and trac bar, rustys 4 coils with 3/4 puck and grand cherokee lower isolator, and s-10 bastard pack with 2" shackles.
PICT0097.jpg

I did TNT stiffners but no pics which threw alot of stuff off.
Out with the old
PICT0088-1.jpg

Plasma cut the brackets off
PICT0093.jpg

After bolting the rear crossmember on with the stiffners the side keeper brackets where off also the front holes on the frame were not threaded so I had to tap it my self.
PICT0100.jpg

Solution was to weld plate on to give more surface area
Long arms installed
PICT0103.jpg

Waggy axle in place
PICT0104.jpg

coils in place, I set the caster to 5.5 degrees
PICT0105.jpg

Combination of tj tierod to blazer tie rod wrapped in .250 wall 1.5 DOM to factory waggy steering.
Rear rodeo axle installed
003.jpg

Zj porportioning valve
004.jpg

1303-27cv shaft installed. FOund out that d44 snouts are longer so factory length wouldnt work so both front and rear had to be cut down
002.jpg

The rear was wheel spaced out with RC spacers which were really nice but didnt fit over the axle hubs so they had to be machined out.
Its sitting at about 5" sorry for the crappy pics I will have some better ones tomorrow
rryu.jpg

jeep.jpg

I did this over the last 2 weeks but I work 24hr shifts in between so 4 full days by myself to do it. So far drives great no vibes and tracks straight with very very minor bump steer.

Did the Isuzu axle have 4:56 gears in it already? Nice build!!! I'm stock piling parts for my winter build as well.

looks good....wtf with airbox full of wires??
X2, I wonder what exactly he was trying to accomplish with that ratsnest in the airbox...

Looks like a really nice build!

No stock 4.10 in the rodeo axle. From what I was reading was only 4cyl models had 4.56 and my local pick apart has about 20 rodeo a month and for 3-4 months never saw one 4 banger. I asked about the wiring and he didnt remember why he did that. Hopefully the marine core machanics taught him better.
Heres the crawler
sammy.jpg

Very nice work... I get 3-4 hour chunks of time months apart. I am always green with envy when I hear someone completing a nice build like this in 2 weeks.

Back