• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how fast can you go in 4H

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

when i got my XJ there was never a owner`s manual but i was wondering when you switch the car in 4H what is the maxium speed you can go being safe on the drivetrain?

thanks in advance

I am pretty sure 55 is the correct number. Honestly, if you need 4H (and in fact if it's safe to use 4H, assuming you have a 231 transfer case) you shouldn't be going above that speed anyways.

my thinking it that if you need 4WD, you shouldnt be driving fast. but i dont see why you cant go as fast as in 2WD.

when I watched the off-road video that came with my TJ from the dealer it says you can go normal safe highway speeds in 4H, so 55-75 depending on where you live I guess

when I watched the off-road video that came with my TJ from the dealer it says you can go normal safe highway speeds in 4H, so 55-75 depending on where you live I guess

thats what i was thinking. it just recommends shifting into 4WD at or below 55.

Another point... you can shift on the fly, but NOT with wheels spinning (i.e. front or rear sliding)! I discovered this very quickly a few weekends ago :doh: Luckily don't seem to have caused any real damage.

Shifting into (at speeds up to 55 mph) High range let off the throttle and pull the lever in, Low range slow to 2-3mph shift the trans into neutral and firmly pull the lever into Low.

Same, I just forgot to a weekend or two ago and learned quickly that I should do that, had been doing it subconsciously previously.

thanks for all the reply guys. i was just wondering because the car is in 2wd 99% of the time but my rear end brakes loose pretty easily because of all the torque. The tires are not that bad and still have lots of life in it. Also because of the weight distribution i guess because today when i had two friends in the back it would spin out as much. BTW my car is a 91 XJ 2dr 4.0L 4X4 5spd. It was heavy raining today and sometimes starting off in an incline is a little bit difficult. Snow hasnt hit Vancouver soon but i'm hoping it will because i bought this XJ for winter as my BMW can't handle winter and i wont let it try :)

Back