• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

install zj box, now wheels turn far to driver, not far to passenger.

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so while i was doing the exhaust/intake manifold gasket and new ford injectors this weekend i decided to swap in a new(reman from napa) ps pump and a zj box. now when i turn the wheels to the driver side, the wheels go very far to driver side,but when i turn to the passenger side the wheels dont go nearly as far. is this normal? it seems odd. my guess is that i need to pull the pitman arm off and turn it a bit and then try it out again if this isnt normal? is this a pitman arm issue or another issue?

I think you're correct, pull and turn the pitman arm and you should be good to go. First though - turn all the way to one side, have a helper see if you are being limited by the stop bolt on the knuckle or the steering box, then turn the other way and check again. If you're being limited by the steering box on one side or the other, personally I would pull the drag link off the pitman arm, find the center on the steering box (make sure you do NOT break your clockspring doing this!!!), then center the wheels manually and adjust the drag link to line up properly. Never done this though, so think it through and see if it makes sense to you too.

ive centered the steering wheel a bunch. what i do is loosen the drag link, drive it half a block slowly, adjust it, then drive it half a block. by the time i circle the block ive adjsuted it a handful of times and its centered. i know its not limited by the stop bolt, i was outside the vehicle turning it by hand and saw there were like 2" to go until the stop bolt. i hate pulling pitman arms but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

IIRC,the pitman arm is indexed.

:eek: I hope he hasn't wasted time pulling it already, those things can be a SOB to get off without liberal application of heat and a few choice words.

so:
1. pull of pitman arm
2. not sure what it means that its indexed.
3. adjsut pitman arm a little
4. adjsut draglink accordingly

arm is a xj arm. box is a zj box. tie rod is a zj tie rod. drag link is a xj draglink.
so I need to:
1. pull off arm
2. move it a little bit over
3. adjust draglink accordingly
this is it right?
im assuming by indexed you mean that there is a mark on the steering box and a mark on the pitman arm? or should i play with the box a little and see how far it actually goes side to side and then try to get the pitman arm in the middle of the movement?

Indexed means you can't change it, it has a tooth that will only allow it to be installed in one position.

Fixed it for you!

so that means that i can only adjsut the drag link to correct this ?
im a little confused..

alright i read a thread on here that says that one can just file down the double spline part of the pitman arm and index it anyway one wants.

so that means that i can only adjsut the drag link to correct this ?
im a little confused..
Thats it! But if everything else is set correctly there is no reason why it shouldnt work correctly.

you need to center the wheel by making it an equal amount of turns each way. not just but using your drag link. you should not be able to turn the wheel one way more then the other with the pitman arm disconnected. it should be equal each way

blondejoncherokee said:
so if i adjust the drag link accordingly it should fix the tire going too far to one side?
unless the pitman arm was put on wrong, but it cant since its indexed right?
so its a drag link issue?
No,the trackbar has to center the axle first!

i feel like the info is back and forth.
alright.
so off the drag link and turn the wheel back and forth and see if it goes one way more than the other?
if so then i need to re-index the pitman arm? if not just adjust the draglink?
basically find the center of my steering as it is now, then with the wheels pointed straight forward and the steering wheel in the center adjust the drag link appropriatly?

ok so i totally get it. i went out there after work tonight and disconnected the drag link and tried to line up the steering wheel the best i could then i tried to adjust the drag link out. the stock drag link is too short for a 5.25" lift but i did make it alot better. its at least somewhat reasonable now. i get one full turn to the passenger side and 2 full turns to the driver.
what i need is a longer drag link. is the zj drag link longer? is there any after market drag link thats not too expensive if the zj drag link doesnt work?

so whats a good replacement for the stock drag link thats longer and not super expensive.

Back