• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

true 4 link vs Y link

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
i have been researching a little bit about the two longarm upgrades and i cant decide on one or the other. im not trying to find out with brand is better than another i just want to know the pros and cons of the Y link setup compared to the true 4 link (or 3 link) setup...

tax time is coming and im looking to upgrade so any help is greatly appreciated!

The Y-link (radius arm) binds as the suspension articulates.

I'm a visual learner, and the easiest way for me to see this is to make a 'V' with your index and middle fingers with both hands. Pretend they're attached to an invisible axle and point them straight in front of you. Now rotate your wrist up on your left hand, and note how it would want to pull the axle back, while the right hand wants to keep the axle where it was.

A true 4-link will have the same binding, however due to the geometry won't have the "unloading" that is inherent with a radius arm design. I'm not sure how to describe the unloading, however I know I've experienced it a select few times.

Most will tell you a 3-link is the best front link setup for an XJ.

now wut are the pros of the Y link and the cons of the 3 link?

now wut are the pros of the Y link and the cons of the 3 link?

Pros of Y link:
  • Ease of manufacture
  • Relatively simple design, requires less modification
  • Improved ride over lifted stock-location 4 link
  • Catchy name :laugh:
Cons of a 3 link:
  • More complex design, requires custom bracketry and tightly engineered components to fit the XJ chassis and axles.
  • May be intimidating to someone with average wrenching/fab skills

A Y link is a form of radius arm links. Any axle articulation requires deflection of the bushings, but most systems will allow enough deflection to make it work. It tends to wear out the bushings faster because of this. If the arms are long enough deflection doesn't seem to limit usable articulation.

A true 4 link doesn't have any binding, so articulation is dependant on shock length mostly, and possibly bushing deflection if bushings are used rather than joints. The XJ's front is a type of 4 link, the arms aren't trianglated enough to provide lateral axle control so a track bar is used. The track bar will cause some binding in the links and limit articulation at some point, depending on arm length and angles and type of joints. A true triangulated 4 link doesn't need a track bar to locate the axle laterally and there is no binding when articulated.

A 3 link must use a track bar to locate the axle laterally but will have no binding when articulated. Since the XJ's engine is so far forward, it's difficult to build a triangulated 4 link, so many of us build a 3 link.

Pros of Y link:
  • Ease of manufacture
  • Relatively simple design, requires less modification
  • Improved ride over lifted stock-location 4 link
  • Catchy name :laugh:
Cons of a 3 link:
  • More complex design, requires custom bracketry and tightly engineered components to fit the XJ chassis and axles.
  • May be intimidating to someone with average wrenching/fab skills
I'd imagine the cons of the 3 link could apply to the radius arm as well. You may not have the brackets to mount on the frame, but it still takes some tight engineering.

I went with the 3 link from Rock Krawler. I like it, great flex and while I do drag the brackets and arms on occasion, 2" solid steel arms and 1/4" plate for the brackets makes for pretty tough components. I ramped a 900 on the RTI ramp with shocks that were too short and leafs that still hadn't fully broken in after a year of use. On the trail, I haven't had any trouble keeping a tire on the ground yet. It's given me plenty of usable flex.

thanks for all the info guys! it really cleared things up for me. i think i will go with the RK 3 link then. sounds like i will like the 3 link better than the four or Y

Back