• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp to lp locker

justjeep94

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about buying a lp dana 30 out of a 04 wrangler and was going to put the gears and locker in my hp dana 30. Will I be able to take out the locker and put it in my high pinion dana 30? I know I can't use the gears, correct? Thanks please help

why do you want to get rid of a high pinion and put in a low pinion? that seem just the opposite of what you want to do

The locker can be swapped over but if I'm not mistaken the HP is reverse cut gears and the LP is standard cut gears so therefore the gears would not swap over.

why do you want to get rid of a high pinion and put in a low pinion? that seem just the opposite of what you want to do

Your not reading it right....

Anyway, your correct the gears will not work, but the locker should if it's just a lockrite or similar. But correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't all tj's HP 30's??? I can't remember at the moment.

I guess you didn't read it right or I didn't make sence. I want to buy a low pinion for the locker to put the locker in my high pinion dana 30. Will it work? Or is there like 2 different lockers one for hp and one for lp

Anyway, your correct the gears will not work, but the locker should if it's just a lockrite or similar. But correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't all tj's HP 30's??? I can't remember at the moment.

Yeah I don't know the guy said its not hp but he could be wrong. what's short pinion mean?

The differential is interchangeable high to low pinion and reverse.(Except the ox locker, or any locker with the actuator mounted on the dif cover. As stated, gears are not interchangeable.

All TJs came from the factory with low-pinion front axles. That's why we call the LP axle in the '00-'01 XJs "Wrangler" or "TJ" axles.

Edit: Short pinion refers to the later D-30 design. The early (CJ) front axle was the "long pinion"

I guess you didn't read it right or I didn't make sence. I want to buy a low pinion for the locker to put the locker in my high pinion dana 30. Will it work? Or is there like 2 different lockers one for hp and one for lp

yeah i didnt read that right... sorry for the confusion:twak:

Oh wow they are all LP's yet another reason why XJ's were just better :)

But its also a testiment to the fact that the LP D30 found in the 00-01 XJ's isnt as bad a some say.There are tons of TJ's out there running these axles,Ive been running 33's/locked for 10yrs now in my 2000!

Locker will switch over with a caveat - above or below carrier break may matter in some cases. I believe if it's a lunchbox locker it'll fit either way (anyone know for sure?) but if it's a full case locker it will only fit gears in the same split as the axle it came out of.

But its also a testiment to the fact that the LP D30 found in the 00-01 XJ's isnt as bad a some say.There are tons of TJ's out there running these axles,Ive been running 33's/locked for 10yrs now in my 2000!

BUT TJ also have a much longer front drive shaft than we do, the reason a lot of the 00-01 XJ guys switch over to a HP 30, is ring gear strength, and drive line angles, 5" of lift on an XJ with a LP 30 will be a lot more likely to have front drive line vibes than a TJ would with the same amount of lift.

How much longer is the front shaft? For those that might want to push their front axle forward a little bit it could be a good one to use.

TJ w/ 4.0L+auto, 2.5L+auto/4spd, 231/242 tcase: 1.75" OD driveshaft tubing. 37.95" collapsed length. WAY too long :(
MOPAR part number: 5209 8378

TJ w/ 4.0L+5spd, 231/242 tcase: 2.5" OD driveshaft tubing, 39.49" collapsed length. Even longer!
MOPAR part number: 5209 8377

I don't seem to have numbers for the YJ in this catalog - were YJ front shafts single cardan at each end?

Back