• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

icm location

orion

NAXJA Forum User
hope someone can help, I have a no start condition when hot, sofar all things point to the icm I have a 99 xj the hayes book says its located at the coil which I replaced 2 years ago with a accexal ho coil. it seems that the icm is located elseware because I removed the coil and its not there any ideas where it is. Its 4.0 inline six

There is not an ignition control module with a 99. I think 1990 may have been the last year for them.

Also consider the possibility of the crankshaft position sensor circuit for a no-start when hot. Pretty common to have thermal failure with this sensor, even more common than the coil.

You can and should test both the coil and the crank sensor with a meter. If you can do so WHEN symptomatic, would be best of course. No guarantee that a 2 year old coil can't fail.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Pictures of said coil? The coil and ICM should be an assembly. Hot starting problems always make me think of the CPS (Crank position sensor) which is located on the bellhousing NOT THE DIST. Try unplugging it when it won't start and plugging it back in, if it works, replace it.

what is the part in the dist. a stator willcheck ihe cps at the bellhousing tommrow yhis started yesterday started twice in the morning third time it cranks but no spark at dist have spark at the coil let it sit overnight and it started right up this morning

The unit in the dist. is called the cam position sensor. The engine will still have spark with that unit disconnected IIRC.

There is not an ignition control module with a 99. I think 1990 may have been the last year for them.

Correct only the Rennix ones had it and 1990 was the last year.

There are a couple of things you can do to check the CPS. Does the tach show RPM when you crank it and it won't start?

If you think it's the CPS you can pour some water on the CPS to see if it starts then.

Back