• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum Headliner

Tarakian

NAXJA Forum User
I know I saw this on tv somewhere, and thought it looked good and easy to do. They used sheet aluminum for the headliner. I have searched all over, anybody got an idea what gauge metal to use? Aluminum is preferable for corrosion reasons.

Got tired of the fabric headliner riding on my head while I was driving, so I pulled the fabric out, now I get little pieces of insulation everywhere!

I think they did it on an epesode of trucks or something. I know they did in one of the trucks they built. I considered doing it myself, but could never come up with the money. I mean, just bolt it up so it can be removed should you want to add dome lights, gagues, etc. I thought it was a great idea, writeup after you get it done maybe?? or just any hints in getting it done. heh

i would stick with something pretty thin i would say 15-20 AWG. and for sure stick with a t4 or comparable alloy that bends well.... not sure how intricate you want to get but a bead roller would add some much need strength after its formed..... and you going to have to put some type of foam or spacers in or its going to rattle like a SOB.

Just so long as the foam won't hold moisture, this was a big issue back in the 70's with custom vans and rotting out the sidewalls.

I think that itr would be much more expensive to do an alum. headliner are there any benifits to doing one besides it looks cool?

RichP said:
Just so long as the foam won't hold moisture, this was a big issue back in the 70's with custom vans and rotting out the sidewalls.

Yeah your right. When I had the problem of a falling headliner I just repaced it with a new head liner $125. No more foam on the head.

Matt

Take the headliner down, scrape off all that glue with a ice scraper or old credit card & spray paint the headliner whatever color you like. It'll look great & never sag. You can even spray paint it to look aluminum... or you can just take it down & leave the sheet metal roof/supports if you like metal.

I agree that you will want the thinnest AL you can find. As high as possible a guage, I would think. Keep in mind that although this might look cool, a large reflective surface like that is going to greatly amplify in-car ambient noise. No amount of sound protection is going to mitigate that. Even if its not vibrating, its still basically just a huge sound reflector...

Back