• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm lengths

john

NAXJA Forum User
how do I determine the length of my upper and lower control arms. I have adjustable arms. I think its a matter of getting the axle sitting correctly but what is correctly

X2- best source

how do I determine the length of my upper and lower control arms. I have adjustable arms. I think its a matter of getting the axle sitting correctly but what is correctly

Correctly is where you get the most travel without excessive rubbing. Balance control arm length with the amount of trimming you're willing to do. Check it turning sharp while flexed to see what rubs, and how axle placement effects it. Good suspension tuning is always trial and error, you have to be willing to make adjustments. There is no generally "perfect" setting for every vehicle.

First adjust the lowers for axle placement, then adjust the uppers for pinion angle and castor setting.

Looking at that chart provokes a question. I just lifted my wifes DD using OME springs in the front, a set of HD springs out back and a JSK shackle. I ended up with 2" lift in front and 2 1/2" in back (I'm assuming the back may settle some). She wanted a little more tire in the wheel wells, thus the slight lift, next week I'll be getting a set of 255 70 15's which should look nice and give her some more sidewall to help the ride. After that I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the front steering and suspension completely. So my question is: I was looking at the RE upper and lower control arms as an upgrade vs. just putting new bushings in the stock control arms. Would the lower adjustable control arms be necessary? Or can I get away with just getting the fixed lower control arms? That chart would suggest that the difference in control arm length is negligable until you get beyond 3-4" of life. Thoughts?

Hmmm, no replies. I guess no one here has experience with aftermarket control arms or front suspension geometry? Guess I just buy the non-adjustable . . .

All of the instances of that table floating around the internet is for length needed to get perfect caster. If you use those numbers as-is then the pinion angle will be completely wrong.

True. i tried those measurments and had bad vibes. It's pure caster, with pinion angle forgotten.

Looking at that chart provokes a question. I just lifted my wifes DD using OME springs in the front, a set of HD springs out back and a JSK shackle. I ended up with 2" lift in front and 2 1/2" in back (I'm assuming the back may settle some). She wanted a little more tire in the wheel wells, thus the slight lift, next week I'll be getting a set of 255 70 15's which should look nice and give her some more sidewall to help the ride. After that I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the front steering and suspension completely. So my question is: I was looking at the RE upper and lower control arms as an upgrade vs. just putting new bushings in the stock control arms. Would the lower adjustable control arms be necessary? Or can I get away with just getting the fixed lower control arms? That chart would suggest that the difference in control arm length is negligable until you get beyond 3-4" of life. Thoughts?

You can run stock length arms until you get over 3" and then they should be extended. For your lift, fixed lower arms and stock uppers would work great. Fixed lowers and fixed uppers would also work great. It's up to you.

Back