• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal sticking

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Cherokee.... My turn signals will work fine sometimes, then out of nowhere it will flash for about 10 seconds then stick on. The turn signal arrow will stay lit up and not flash. Sometimes I will hit the turn signal and it wont flash at all, just light up the arrow. If I keep trying to hit it, it will start flashing sometimes and then stick right back up. Any idea what this could be or what I need to throw money at? Thanks

Try turning the hazards on/off an couple of times, that can scrape a little off the contacts in the switch.

Cool that sounds good, hopefuly. I will try it in a couple weeks when I get home. The part that doesnt sound good is that the switch and whatever controls the flashing is housed in the steering column? That doesn't sound like fun to get to. Maybe I will just have to start driving like the rest of the folk in Phoenix and stop using my turn signal....

It's actually easy to get to. Only 3 screws hold the column covers on and you only need to take the top off.

Ohh good deal, that doesnt sound to bad. If it turns out I do need to replace it, what is the part I will need to get? Thanks for the help man.

Try replacing just the flasher first - it is easier than getting into the column, and what your are describing is pretty much exactly how mine behaved when the flasher went out. It does not tend to all the sudden stop working; it will work a little here and there, stay on instead of flash, or sometimes not come on at all.

If you go to any auto parts store, they should be able to get you what you need if you say you need the flasher for a 'XX Cherokee. It is a common part.

If that does not fix the problem, move on to the switch in the column...

Try replacing just the flasher first - it is easier than getting into the column,

The part that doesnt sound good is that the switch and whatever controls the flashing is housed in the steering column?

The later models use a electronic flasher that is btter than the old thermal flashers from the old models but the switches are more prone to wierd problems such as both rear lights flashing when the turn signal is on.

The manual does show the flasher under the dash driverside behind the knee blocker for 97-01.

Last edited:
Ok I am now confused. I have still not fixed this issue, it doesn't help that I haven't tried... I just put the THOR guards on and of course have the hyper flash with the led's. What I had read was that I just needed to replace the thermal flashes with an electronic unit to make it flash right. I figured I would replace that first before the switch in the column. However, MJR, you said it already has an electronic flasher...

Ok I am now confused. I have still not fixed this issue, it doesn't help that I haven't tried... I just put the THOR guards on and of course have the hyper flash with the led's. What I had read was that I just needed to replace the thermal flashes with an electronic unit to make it flash right. I figured I would replace that first before the switch in the column. However, MJR, you said it already has an electronic flasher...

Yes but it's setup to provide the same feedback a thermal flasher would do. If you went LED lights I'd suggest a Anco (I think it was) flasher to replace the OR one.

Back