• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear sagging, question about springs

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
1989 4.0 4x4 2door

i got a 4" lift scheduled for the end of february so i ordered some rough country shocks that will work for this lift. the only problem is now with stock height i only have about 1" of up travel on the rear before the shock bottoms out. that makes for a huge bang on every bump. the front has about 1.5" so it is not as bad. i have done alot of google searching on leaf springs and read it all, but i am still having problems understanding.

i was thinking of adding one leaf from an s10 pack. is this worth the trouble to then change out in a month? what can i do on the cheap to get 1.5" for this time. this is not my daily driver, but i want to drive it. i'm afraid i'm going to tear something up driving it like it is.

thanks

if I understand your problem correctly, you're effectively using your rear shocks as a default bump stop. If that's the case, I'd say you've got to do something if you want the shocks to last (assuming they're not already shot)

adding an extra leaf might be a solution, but I'd probably bite the bullet and replace your 4" shocks with the cheapest stock sized ones available until you get the lift installed.

or extend your rear bumpstop for the time being. this can be done a number of different ways depending on how much you need to bumpstop, such as buying a new longer one, custom fabbing a SHS metal tubing between the existing bumpstop and the frame rail, or getting something like DPGs springplates which cause the bumpstop to contact the wider springplate instead of the lower axle tubing, or a combination there of

Yeah, agreed with Shorty and Snail. You can pick up stock size shocks for approx $17 each at autozone, that's what I did. I think they're about shot now so I might pick up a proper set of shocks at this point.

the temporary stock shock route is prolly the easiest. didnt even think of that. thanks those front shocks are a pain in the rear. especially the driver side.:smsoap:

Removing the shocks will give you an interesting ride over bumps as there will be nothing to control the spring rebound.

Just grab two stock shocks at the salvage yard--maybe $5 and some sweat equity?

Back